The Promenade des Anglais (Promenade des Anglais) is a stroll along the waterfront of the Angels Bay (Nice Baie des Anges) on the French Riviera. At the beginning of the nineteenth century there was a small footpath, stones, a couple of meters wide, called the "Cammino degli Inglesi" (in the dialect of Nice: Camin deis Anglés), which connected the right bank of the Paglione River to the Marble Cross suburb (Croix de Marbre). It was realized by the British community to spend the winter in the city and was funded by Reverend Lewis Way. The coast was put at the disposal of the municipality with the patronship of May 5, 1835 signed by King Charles Albert of Savoy. On April 29, 1836, the municipal council approved the project presented by the municipal architect Antoine Scoffier, who designed the track already in 1830, with an extension and a scheme still present in the current seafront. In 1844, the first works were completed that completed the first stretch from the south-east corner of the Paglione River to the San Filippo district, elevated 5 meters above sea level. The project had a width of 23 meters, but it was only 12 meters long. In the years 1854-1856, the street was named after the English promenade (promenade des Anglais) and extended to the Magnan stream as planned by architect François Aune. Major works were carried out that led to the extension of the road of another 11 meters, so as to form a path with a double row of trees. After the annexation to France in 1860, the seafront was extended to the districts of Sant'Elena (Sainte-Hélène) in 1878, Carras in 1882 and later to the Vararo river in 1903. On April 13, 1902, Léon Serpollet conquered Earth speed recordings on his "Steamboat Easter" vehicle with steam engine, along the British seafront at speeds of 120.8 kilometers per hour. The villas and gardens along the way were gradually destroyed and replaced by luxurious palaces and hotels, casinos and residential buildings. The traffic grew and began to cause problems already in 1920, so that the municipal administration began further work between the Opera and Avenue Gambetta in 1929-1931, realizing the current seafront view. The enlargement continued between Gambetta and Ferber Avenue in 1949 and 1953. The waterfront is now congested by road traffic and in some places forms a large urban artery with two lanes in the direction of travel.