Tourist Attraction in Murcia: Iglesia de San Miguel
The church of San Michele in Murcia is a baroque religious building built between the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century, erected in place of a former medieval church. The construction of the new church was deliberated in 1625 and at that date the demolition of the former medieval building began. However, a disastrous flood in 1651 (Riada de san Calixto) destroyed much of that area of the city, including works under construction. He had to wait 1691 to begin the work of the current building. Water infiltration caused the collapse of the bell tower in 1864, with damage to the transept cruise. Temporarily moved to worship in another church, the reconstruction tower and the restoration of the damaged part of the church ended in 1879. The altar is particularly valuable with its retablo, by Giacinto Perales and Francisco Salzillo; the latter sculpted the statues of the archangels, virtues and angels supporting the dome. The church contains numerous works by Nicola Salzillo and his son Francisco. Among others, the Holy Family, Salzillo's son, St. Michele (1708) and San Giuda Taddeo, Salzillo's father and Saint Joseph and the Child.