The Real Certosa dell'Assunzione, (Real Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de Asunción), is a monastic complex, consisting of a church and annexed monastery, located in the city of Granada, founded in the sixteenth century as a monastery of the hermit order of the Certosini . It is one of the most important religious monuments in Andalusia, and one of the most important examples of Baroque architecture in the country. It was declared Monumentos histórico-artísticos by decree of June 4, 1931. Later the whole complex was called Bien de Interes Cultural. The Carthusian Order was founded in 1084 in the Massif of Chartreuse, in Grenoble, France, by San Bruno and six comrades. Soon the order came to Spain, where he had 24 monasteries, of which the majority was secularized in 1835-36 by the Desamortización by Juan Álvarez Mendizábal. Already from 1458 the Carthusian Monastery of El Paular, Castile, sought a suitable place for the construction of a new monastery. Juan Padilla, prior to the Certosa de las Cuevas in Seville, turned to Gran Capitan Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba in Granada in 1506, who gave gifts of lands expropriated by a summer residence of the mori. Founded officially in 1506 by the will of Gran Capitan, construction began in 1513, with the delivery of land. Initially supported by Gran Capitan, with his death in 1515, the yard was stopped for a few years. In 1519 the work continued, but the Carthusians could only enter it in 1545. The church was completed in 1662. The whole monastery is now centered on the Small Cloister, on Doric columns, to distinguish it from the Great Cloister today. Around the galleries, the Refectory opens, a large room with crucian Gothic vaults that houses a series of paintings by Juan Sánchez Cotán; the lavatorium; the Capitular Room, the ancient chapel of the monastery before church building; a series of three chapels; and the main church. The church, erected already in the sixteenth century, has a single nave with sailboat and polygonal apex; and is divided, longitudinally, into three parts. From the countertop, a wrought iron wrap restricts the first open section to the faithful; followed by a scaffold made up of two blades by Juan Sánchez Cotán of 1612: the Escape in Egypt and the Baptism of Christ, and a rich wooden door finely inlaid in 1570 by his lay brother Jose Manuel Vazquez with mother-of-pearl, ivory, silver and precious wood, delimits the conversation area. White surfaces are the features of Carthusines. The whole environment is lined with a lavish baroque decoration with white stucco made between 1622 and 1662. The polygonal apse is also covered with stuccoes that on this white background appear colored. The oblique walls welcome two large statues in stucco polychrome, the patron saint of the order, St. John the Baptist on the left; and the founder of the Order, San Bruno, to the right. In the center of the apse stands the other great scenic, with golden wood and mirrors, with the center of the statue of the Assumption, by José de Mora. The Sancta-Sanctorum, or Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, opens behind the main altar, separated from the church by a large golden glass door in Venice. The Sacristy was designed by Francisco Hurtado Izquierdo, and made by several masters between 1727 and 1764. It represents the harmonious celestial sphere and looks like a small church. All elaborate stuccos are masterful by Luis Cabello; The Lanjarón marble base is made of Luis de Arévalo as well as the alabaster statue of San Bruno on the altar. The Immaculate Conception above the altar is the work of Alonso Cano and the statue of San Bruno on the niche to the left of José de Mora. The fresco in the dome was made in 1735 by Tomás Ferrer. The canvases with Scenes of the Life of Jesus and Saints Carthusians are of the lay friar Francisco Morales.