The Deutsches Museum in Munich, (full name: Deutsches Museum von Meisterwerken der Naturwissenschaft und Technik), is the world's largest science and technology museum with about 28,000 exhibits from 50 areas of science and technology. The museum was founded on June 28, 1903 at a meeting of the Association of German Engineers, at the initiative of Oskar von Miller. The museum is located on a small island of the Isar River that crosses Munich. No buildings were built on the island before 1772, since it was subject to periodic flooding before the construction of the dam on Isar at the gates of the city. In 1772 they were built on the island of barracks, then rebuilt in 1899 after a flood. In 1903, the city council announced that it would allocate the island on the island to the construction of the Deutsches Museum. The island, commonly called Kohleinsel (coal island), was renamed in Museumsinsel (museum island). On November 12, 1906, temporary exhibitions at the National Museum were opened to the public and on 13 November the first stone of the permanent museum was laid. The first name of the museum, the Deutsches Museum von Meisterwerken der Naturwissenschaft und Technik (German Museum of Science and Technology), was not limited to German technological and scientific progress, but wanted to express the importance of science and technology for the German people. Oskar von Miller inaugurated the new museum on his seventeenth birthday in May 1925, after a delay of at least ten years. From the outset the exhibitions of the museum were supported by documents available in a library and public archives, open seven days a week. In the 1950's, the museum focused on natural sciences rather than on technology, and many of the major traditional exhibitions, such as civil engineering, were shrunk to make room for the latest technological innovations. In 1953, the first ever ever of Die chinesische Nachtigall by Werner Egk. In August 1969, Apollo 8 was exhibited at a special exhibition entitled Man and Space and in 1970 he was named the first full time director, Theo Stillger. In the 1970s, the museum's aim was changed to encourage the explanation of the importance of science and technology in exhibitions. The early eighties saw serious damage to various exposures due to an arson. This event was followed by an extensive reconstruction effort, and an additional building was built, bringing the exhibition space to 55,000 square meters in 1993. In the eighties and nineties tight agreements were reached with the Science Center in Bonn for the the creation of the detachment of the Deutsches Museum in the city, and the exhibition at Flugwerft Schleibheim Airport. In 1996, the Bavarian government made buildings on the Theresienhöhe in Munich at the Deutsches Museum. This is how a new transport museum was formed, the Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum, which opened in 2003 and now houses exhibitions of cars and trains that were removed from the original site at the Deutsches Museum.