The Sedlec ossuary (kostnice Sedlec), is a small Christian chapel, located in the cemetery of the Church of All Saints (Hìbitovnì kostel Vsech Svatych). The ossuary contains approximately 40,000 human skeletons decomposed and arranged in such a way as to create a decorative system that adorns the interiors of the religious building. The abbot Henry, of the Cistercian monastery from which the church depended, was sent to the Holy Land at the behest of King Ottocaro II of Bohemia, in 1278. On his return, the friar brought with him a jar containing the earth collected from Golgotha's soil. and dispersed it within the Sedlec cemetery. Many people from all over Europe have since buried their relatives in this place, according to tradition in order to give them eternal salvation. Over time many bodies accumulated in the cemetery of Sedlec mainly because of two of the greatest calamities that gripped the current territory of the Czech Republic: in the fourteenth century the black plague and later in the fifteenth century the devastations brought by the crusade Hussita. In 1400 the friars were forced to build an ossuary, located inside the crypt of the new church, built in Gothic style, in the middle of the cemetery that now no longer had the space necessary to contain all the bodies. Starting from 1511 the bones of the old burials were exhumed and stacked in a warehouse to make way for the new ones. Between 1703 and 1710, a new entrance was erected and the chapel of the Italian architect Giovanni Santini was renovated in Baroque style. In 1870, Frantisek Rint, a carver in the service of the Duke of Schwarzenberg, had the idea of reusing the bones accumulated in the church's warehouses to create the macabre decoration of the crypt. In addition to decorating the walls and the vault with the remains of the skeletons, the artist composed real sculptures. On all stand out the huge chandelier composed of skulls and bones embedded between them, the ornament of the altar, and a giant Schwarzenberg coat of arms also rebuilt with the human remains recovered from the ossuary. A similar ossuary in decorations also exists in Italy in the church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini in Rome. In 1970 the Czech director Jan Svankmajer was commissioned to shoot a documentary on the ossuary. The result was a visionary short film of 10 minutes, now slow, hectic now, with nightmare undertones and the neutral background of the tourist guide's voice. This version was initially rejected by the authorities and the soundtrack was replaced by a brief spoken introduction and a jazz arrangement, by Zdenèk Liska, of the poem Comment dessiner le portrait d'un oiseau by Jacques Prèvert. The Sedlec ossuary is an integral part of the novel The Angel of Bones by the Irish writer John Connolly.