Tourist Attraction in Enniskerry: Powerscourt Estate
Powerscourt Estate, located in Enniskerry, Ireland, is a large country estate that is known for its home and landscaped gardens, which today occupies 19 acres. The house, originally a castle of the thirteenth century, was extensively modified in the eighteenth century by the German architect Richard Cassels, starting in 1731 and ended in 1741. A fire in 1974 left the house like a shell until it was renewed 1996. Originally the home of the Visconti family of Powerscourt, the property was owned by the Slazenger family, founders and former owners of the Slazenger sports activity since 1961. It is a very popular tourist attraction and includes the Powerscourt Golf Club, an Avoca Handweavers restaurant and a hotel Autograph Collection. There is also the Powerscourt House, in Dublin, which was the viscount's residence. The original owner of the castle of the thirteenth century was a man named La Poer, who was eventually anglicized in "Power". The location of the castle was of strategic military importance because the castle owner could control access to the nearby rivers Dargle, Glencree and Glencullen. In a dominant position on a hill, Cassels shifted slightly from his usual grim style, giving the house something of what John Vanbrugh would call "the air of the castle". This is more evident in the severe Palladian facade of the structure, which is dominated by two circular domed towers. King George IV was a guest of Richard Wingfield, fifth Visconte Powerscourt in August 1821. In the 1930s, the house hosted a series of conferences on unrealized Bible prophecies, in which men such as John Nelson Darby and Edward Irving participated. . These conferences were held under the auspices of Theodosia Wingfield Powerscourt, then the widow Lady Powerscourt. In 1844, Mervyn Wingfield, the seventh Viscount Powerscourt inherited the title and the Powerscourt estate, which included 200 square kilometers of land in Ireland. When he reached the age of 21, he undertook an extensive renovation of the house and created the new gardens. Major attractions include tower tower, Japanese gardens, winged horse statues, Triton lake, animal cemetery, dolphin pond, walled gardens, Bamberg gate and Italian garden. The Pepperpot Tower is said to be designed after Lady Wingfield's favorite 3-inch pepepot. Of particular importance is the cemetery of domestic animals, whose tombstones have been described as "surprisingly personal".