Castle of Trsat (Croatian: Gradina Trsat) is a castle in Trsat, Rijeka, Croatia. It is thought that the castle is located at the exact point of an ancient Illyrian and Roman fort. The Croatian noble Vuk Krsto Frankopan is buried in one of the churches. The Trsat Castle was completely rebuilt and renovated in the 19th century, when the mausoleum of the military commander Laval Nugent was built in the interior. The castle courtyard has been transformed into a restaurant and many tourists visit the place during the summer months. The castle of Trsat, from the 14th century whose site has been used since Roman times, to be an easy place to control access to the sea along the river Rječina, is situated on the steep hill overlooking the Rječina gorge on the left bank , just above the city of Rijeka. It may be that an Iapodian fortress, Darsata, was there, after what was called the Roman fortification Tarsatica. This Roman fort was of vital importance on a road linking Aquileia to Pannonia and Senia (Senj). It was owned by the Frankopan family who built the current castle on the site occupied by Ilian Tarsatica to protect their belongings in Vinodol. The capture of Trsat's castle forced the ban on Croatia, Andrew Bot of Bajna (Bajna is a village in Hungary, near Esztergom), to intervene in the Austro-Venetian war, and in June 1509, started again in Trsat with his army Croatian and then he entered Rijeka after expelling the Venetians. In October 1509, the Venetians finally retired and Rijeka returned to the Habsburgs' possessions of Maximilian. This remarkable episode is the only event that links Rijeka to Venice and, consequently, to Italy, throughout its history from the 7th century. In the seventeenth century, the castle fell into ruin because of the threat of escape from Venice and the Ottoman Empire. Its decline was accelerated by the earthquake of 1750. In the year 1811, during the Napoleonic wars, Captain Hoste in search of the French arrived with his frigate in Rijeka, where he became lieutenant governor. The situation in Trieste soon took him away, but in 1826 he had the satisfaction of delivering the castle to Field Marshal Nugent, an Irishman who commanded the Austrian troops in the neighborhood in order to confer on him the Austrian rank. noble. The general was later honored by the Austrians and presented to the castle of Trsat as residence. He restored it in a neo-Gothic style and built a mausoleum adorned with the coat of arms of the Nugent family. She remained in the Nugent family until almost the end of World War II, when her great-granddaughter, Countess Nugent, died at the age of 82.