Tourist Attraction in Sorrento: Chiesa di San Paolo
The church of San Paolo is a monumental church located in the historic center of Sorrento: attached to it is also the homonymous convent of the Benedictine nuns, later transformed into a school. The church, as evidenced by some documents, already existed before 872; sacked by the Turks in 1558, it underwent numerous reconstructions during the course of the century that altered its original appearance: in particular the 18th century restoration work, precisely those started after the 1731 earthquake, gave the structure a typically baroque. The façade was rebuilt in 1725 although it remained incomplete in the upper part: this is characterized by the use of the mural column, typical architectural style used by Michelangelo Buonarroti; the lower part is made of tuff, decorated in Doric order, with the entrance portal set between two columns, while the upper part is simply painted, with a circular window in the center. Internally, the church is a Latin cross, with a single nave with a barrel vault, decorated with lunettes and stuccos, as well as several wooden boxes and coretti, from which the nuns once attended the sacred celebrations; along the nave there are two chapels on each side, both adorned with inlaid polychrome marbles: in a chapel on the right a door leads to the former monastery, while in a left chapel, another entrance leads to the sacristy. On the high altar, in addition to a table in polychrome marble, there is a painting depicting the Conversion of St. Paul, with the statues of St. Scholastica and St. Benedict at the sides: on the sides of the presbiteriola chapel on the right side houses a canvas of 1729 that it represents St. Benedict and St. Scholastica who show the sacred rule to Placido and Mauro, while in the chapel on the left side is another painting depicting the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in heaven, dated 1736. The whole floor of the church is characteristic, fairly conserved, in majolica on cotto, decorated with drawings of animals, flowers and leaves: the majolica tiles are also used to cover the dome externally; It is equipped with a small bell tower.