The Porta Famagusta is a gate in the walls of Nicosia, in Cyprus. It is the main gate of the city: the Porta Giuliana, or "below" the "Chorograffia" of Fra Stefano Lusignano, known as Porta Famagusta in modern times. This building, in Venetian style, was copied from the famous Porta del Lazaretto di Candia designed by Michele Sammicheli in the early 16th century and consists of a vaulted passage through the embankment of the city with a carefully executed spherical dome, eleven meters in diameter in its center. The passage is large enough to pass two vehicles, and is illuminated by a circular opening in the center of the dome in the style of the Pantheon, in Rome. On both sides of this passage appear to have entered rooms now locked. The external door of the Porta Giuliana is a small arch in the re-entry corner or "slug" of the Caraffa bastion now a little wounded by the breaking of the arched stones, and the ancient gates. There. On the inner side of the gateway, facing the city, is an imposing facade. The gate was built in 1567 by the Venetians, as part of the new city walls and was originally called Porta Giuliani by its designer. It was restored by the Ottomans in 1821, and a lookout was added to the gate for a probable Greek revolt. During the early Ottoman period, only the Turks could cross the gate on horseback, while Christians and foreigners were forced to walk. The gate was closed at sunset and reopened at dawn and remained closed on Friday, the Muslim holy day, to allow the guards to pray. During the British colonial period, the large rooms of the gate served as a warehouse for fuel and other materials. Although a gradual process of conservation was carried out between 1934 and 1981, humidity problems prevailed and the Porta fell into disuse.
In 1980, the Municipality of Nicosia decided to restore the gate and reuse it as a cultural center. The floor of the entrance was covered by a concrete bed and the area in front of the gate was covered with pebbles. The interior walls and the roof have been cleaned and then insulated. Air conditioning and ventilation systems have been installed under the floor. The rooms have been equipped with general lighting and special lighting for the exhibitions. The passage and the two side rooms can function as a whole or as three individual areas. The restoration was completed in 1981 and since then the Famagusta gate has become a place for exhibitions that help to regenerate Taht-el-kale, Nicosia.