The Cathedral Basilica of Maria Santissima delle Vittorie in Piazza Armerina is the cathedral of the diocese of Piazza Armerina, dedicated to Maria Santissima delle Vittorie. The building in Catalan Gothic style under the title of "Santa Maria Maggiore", is a building enriched between the fifteenth and the sixteenth century by a mighty bell tower and a Gaginesque marble arch in the baptistery, expression of the Sicilian Renaissance. In 1626 and 1627 he was called to lead the archdiocese of Catania, the Roman Innocenzo Massimo, who wanted to put an end to the endless querelle about the reconstruction of the new cathedral of Piazza Armerina, a work that had lasted for almost thirty years, and had already seen fail at least three valid projects. The bishop's proposal was accepted by Orazio Torriani, an architect who was able to raise the new and imposing building on the ruins of the ancient mother church, incorporating what remained of the previous bell tower and the Gaginesque arch, assisted by masters Maria Capelletti from Milan and Domenico Costa from Messina. The work began October 24, 1627. For the renovation, the use of brick alternative to stone was favored, both as a building material and as a decorative element. The tremendous tremors of the earthquake of the Val di Noto of 1693 January 11 miraculously left unharmed the city that celebrates the anniversary of the event every year. A church with the title of the tremuoto was built in imperishable memory. After a further interruption of about forty years between 1666 and 1705, the cathedral was completed in the structures and inaugurated only in 1742, period after which new workers took turns. The temple is raised to a minor basilica by Pope John XXIII in February 1962. The current cathedral, dominated by its high dome of 76.5 m and has a diameter of 13.88 meters, the highest in Sicily, visible from all over the city, was begun in 1604, continued by the architect Orazio Torriani, completed in 1719. The bell tower , 40 meters high, in late Catalan Gothic style, dates back to the fifteenth century and is that of a previous church, in place of which the current cathedral was erected. The portal, of the eighteenth century, presents elements of Sicilian Baroque style. The interior of the cathedral is dominated by the central dome. It contains a cross painted on both sides, showing the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, and a baptistery by Antonuzzo Gagini from 1594. The high altar in lapis lazuli, semi-precious stones and Sicilian marbles, with the floor and the balustrade of the apse , are made by the Palermo master Filippo Pinistri on the design of the architect Giuseppe Venanzio Marvuglia. The superelevation includes the embossed silver case of 1625, which contains the image of Maria Santissima delle Vittorie, patron of the city and of the diocese, chiselled by the caltagirone silversmith Giuseppe Capra in 1627, the manta in gold, silver and enamels to protect it, designed and created by the Palermo goldsmith Don Camillo Barbavara. Behind the altar are the funerary monuments of Marco Trigona 1598 and Melchiorre Trigona 1637. On the back wall there are two large windows with Saint Peter and Saint Paul apostles, in the center, in the upper window, the image of the Redeemer. Along the side walls of the presbytery is the choir of the canons, an artifact carved in 1795 by the local masters Domenico Parlagreco, Luigi Montalto and Liborio Parlagreco on a drawing provided by the architects Francesco and Pietro Laganà da Modica. On the left, positioned on a jutting platform, is the bishop's seat. The walls on the right side above the choir embellish the paintings depicting the Epiphany or Adoration of the Magi coming from the church of Sant'Agata, and San Benedetto and the servant of King Totila by Giuseppe Salerno, on the left side the mystical Marriage of Saint Caterina di Giuseppe Salerno and the Martyrdom of the Saints Forty.