The Garibaldi theater is located in Piazza Armerina, in the province of Enna. The theater was built in the east, near the fourteenth-century wall, in front of the church of Santo Stefano. According to the description of Pastorelli, designer in 1902 of the current elevation, the façade is in Renaissance style, two bodies forward with twin pillars with capitals on two orders stacked, with marble panels on the ground floor for advertising the shows and two mullioned windows on the first floor. The remainder at the bottom, which corresponds to the vestibule, was decorated with ground-floor basins and columns recessed for the windows of the foyer, which are equipped with parapets with white pitch stone balustrades; four medallions on the first floor contain the figures of Giuseppe Verdi and Vincenzo Bellini in the center, and those of Vittorio Alfieri and Carlo Goldoni laterally. A decorative group created by the decorator sculptor Pasquale Massa di Barrafranca completes the finish of the façade. The theater with an ability of 320 seats, has a theatrical system as follows: stage, proscenium, horseshoe hall with three tiers of boxes and gallery. Today it presents essentially the same structure at the beginning of the century, except for the changes that involved the equipment at the service of the stage, such as the dressing rooms (obtained in the houses leaning against the theater at the back), the toilets and the adaptation to the new rules of safety. The wooden structures of the boxes have been replaced by others in steel, but the decorations of the parapets and wooden false ceilings are still the original ones. It currently hosts theatrical, jazz and classical music festivals, cultural events and even film screenings. It is not possible to get information from historical sources, having destroyed the municipal archives that were earlier than the Unification of Italy. However, you can hear about the theater by referring to local historians. Remigio Roccella, who makes no assumptions about the date of construction, says that in 1800 every nobleman had the right of preference for each stage; this makes us suppose that the barons had contributed to the foundation of the theater. Father E. Franchino quotes the report of two experts sent by the Bishop of Syracuse in 1814 to verify if Piazza Armerina was suitable to welcome the new diocese; in the report we talk about a public theater called Santa Maria, able to accommodate numerous people both in the stalls and in its four-tiered boxes. The same Franchino however, cited as the date of construction of the theater in 1820, but most likely those of 1820 were major renovations. Between 1844 and 1847, other important works were carried out by the superintendent Tommaso Amato Barcellona who had the stage organization reformed, reducing the three-way orders and having the gallery created. The existence of the fourth order confirms that the theater, visited by the two experts in 1814, was precisely what was to become the Garibaldi theater. In 1852 the medieval city wall of the city collapsed over the portico of the old façade of the theater. There is no news of redesigning the façade, from which it is deduced that this remained mutilated from the portico until the beginning of the twentieth century. In 1902 the surveyor Pastorelli was commissioned to build the new theater; elevation that was moved forward by m. 6.20 compared to the pre-existing so much to be able to derive an entrance vestibule, the ticket office, the caretaker's room and the coffee. After the war, the theater also houses the cinema, but was closed in 1970 by order of the Civil Engineers.