Tourist Attraction in Piazza Armerina: Palazzo della Città
The Palace of the City of Piazza Armerina. The construction was begun in 1773 by the Benedictines. In 1777 it became the seat of the city's senate and later also the site of an archaeological museum. In 1783 the construction of the current facade of the Palazzo di Città began with the contribution of the people and the conspicuous one of the Marquis Luigi trigona della Floresta. Originally built as the headquarters of the Corte Capitanale, it is currently a cultural center on the ground floor while on the first floor it is divided into two, on one side the council chamber, on the other side empty rooms that hosted an exhibition a few years ago of ceramic finds from Roman times to the Middle Ages. The late Baroque facade of the Palazzo di Città overlooks Piazza Garibaldi; it consists of two rows of pilasters made of cut stone elements that contain raw bricks. In the lower part, interposed between the pilasters, stand out the large sandstone portal surmounted by a crumpled title page bearing the coat of arms of the city and two large windows with an arched frontispiece. The upper part is characterized by three large balconies communicating with each other through a balcony with wrought iron railings that runs through the entire width of the façade. Above the cornice that concludes the second order, a particular crowning element, containing a clock, defines the façade. Through the main portal there is access to a large marble paved hall characterized by the presence of four large columns on a base that define a central barrel-lunette area separating it from two symmetrical side areas defined by large arches and covered with cross vaults. Hanging capitals define the conclusion of the arches on the walls. From the living room a door leads to a side room, while in front of some steps led to the rooms behind and the continuation of the staircase led to the upper floor (currently the access to the living room is walled up). On the upper floor and the rooms behind it is accessed from a room with entrance into Via Cavour, characterized by two arches from which a two-step staircase leads to the upper floor consists of five rooms communicating with each other. Of these the major overlooks with three balconies on Piazza Garibaldi and one on Via Cavour, presents the pavilion vault entirely frescoed by the Palermo painter Martorana.