The Orsini-Colonna castle is a castle located in the municipality of Avezzano. The fourteenth-century castle was built in simple shapes around the remains of a tower built in 1181 by Gentile da Palearia, lord of the county of Albe, conquered in 1364 by Francesco del Balzo, duke of Andria. Conformed to a fortress by the will of Gentile Virginio Orsini was conceived, as stated in an inscription on the ogival portal, as a fortress Ad exitum seditiosis Avejani, or as a warning from possible revolts of the Avezzanese population. The manor was probably designed by the military engineer Francesco di Giorgio Martini, in those years at the service of the Orsini and documented author of the intervention to the nearby triangular-shaped castle of Scurcola Marsicana. The Avezzano building in 1565 was initially enlarged by Marcantonio Colonna and later transformed into a fortified palace by the winner of the Battle of Lepanto. The Colonna, from 1504 onwards, will become permanently feudal lords of almost the entire territory for three long centuries. Therefore, the administrative structure of the county of the Marsi, with the advent of the Bourbon, will present itself divided into two sections. In 1722 the lord of Avezzano, Don Fabrizio Colonna arrived in his baronial palace, accompanied by his wife Donna Caterina Salviati. As a ceremonial, he was welcomed by the vassals of the countryside with "inscriptions placed on the arches erected in the streets in honor of the prince, the Latin and Greek poems and other writings composed on the occasion of the event". The administrators of Avezzano, as a sign of homage, gave him gifts of every kind and were received in the castle from 17 September to 15 October of the same year. It remained in the hands of the Colonna family until the abolition of the feuds occurred in 1806. The manor then passed in 1806 to the Lante della Rovere who kept it until 1905 when, by deed of the notary Pietro Vannisanti in Rome, he bought the deputy mayor of Avezzano, Francesco Spina, who used it as a hotel and rented the side towards Via Fucino to the Royal school "Matilde di Savoia". The castle was presented in perfectly preserved forms, so much so that the mayor had used a large part of it as a hotel for tourists of the Italian aristocracy. The castle had all four perimeter towers with three scanned sides, and the crenellated roofs were adorned with circular roof tiles, similar to those of a pagoda. At the center of the body there was the noble residence of the Colonna with the interior frescoes of the sixteenth century. The façade in fact showed a third sector, in fact occupied by the residence, which on the right, compared to the façade, had a taller and slender turret of the four of the perimeter, with classicist arched holes, and also with the characteristic tiled roof of the "pagoda" roof. The façade of the castle is flat and divided into two levels by a string-course cornice. The central portal is rectangular and is decorated on the sides of the door by two rows of minute pyramids, and more on the outside by two figures in bas-relief, a man's size, a rampant wild boar and a bear bearing a sword, symbols of the Orsini and Colonna families. The second level is punctuated by two orders of two windows, with a central one above the portal. A second access portal is located on the right side of the castle and bears on it a plaque with the writings of the Colonna family in the conquest of Avezzano. The four perimeter towers of the castle are preserved in good part. Originally they were in three levels, subdivided by cornices, but after the great earthquake only the tower of the façade on the left preserves part of the ornamental masonry with corbels and crenellations. The towers are circular in shape. Around the castle Marcantonio Colonna had the Renaissance garden built which occupied most of the moat.