Tourist Attraction in Fluminimaggiore: Tempio di Antas
The temple of Antas is a Punic-Roman temple dedicated to the worship of the eponymous god of Sardinians Sardus Pater Babai. It is located about ten kilometers south of the village of Fluminimaggiore, in an area where they settled Carthaginians and Romans, attracted by the abundant deposits of lead and iron in the area. Temple of Antas. In front of the steps of the Roman temple there are the remains of the previous Punic temple, dedicated to the Punic god Sid Addir. Under the steps of access to the Roman temple are the remains of the previous Carthaginian temple (completed at the end of the fifth century BC) dedicated to the god Sid Addir, continuation of the previous nuragic cult given to the god of water and vegetation. The first chapel was built in 500 BC. on an outcrop of limestone believed sacred and in 300 BC, the temple was renovated. Many Punic findings have been found around the altar. The Roman temple was built for the will of Emperor Augustus (27 BC - 14 after Christ.) And restored during Caracalla (213-217 after Christ.) On the area of the Punic temple. The temple was discovered in 1836 by General Alberto La Marmora and assumed its present form after the reconstruction occurred in 1967. The front of the temple is composed of six columns, four fronts and two on the sides, eight meters high and having capitals of Ionic order. Originally a triangular pediment was also present. The central cell was accessible through two side openings. A part of a mosaic is visible in the cell floor. Finally, the sacred part of the temple is equipped with two square vessels, about a meter deep, which contained the water used in purification rites. The front steps, through which we reached the podium, consisted of various shelves including the one dedicated to the altar that, according to the canons of the time, was located outside the temple. Probably there was a statue of the Sardus Pater Babai that, judging by the size of a finger found on site, could have a height of about 3 meters. Above all, votive gifts such as statues and coins were found in the temple area. In the archaeological area, besides the temple, there are also: a small necropolis, in the area in front of the temple (discovered in 1984, today the three graves found are not visible); the remains of an ancient nuragic village (1200 BC - 900 BC). Also used in the late Roman age; the Roman quarries, from which the limestone blocks used to build the temple were extracted; an ancient path that connects the archaeological area to a cave of speleological interest in which, thanks to some findings of nuraghic objects, it is believed that water worship was practiced.
No less important are the ancient rocky outcrops that contribute to making the natural environment interesting. The nuragic necropolis. At about 20 meters north-south from the Roman podium, around a rocky composition, probably having religious functions, is the nuragic necropolis consisting of tombs of 80 centimeters in diameter and with a depth between 35 and 68 centimeters, probably belonging to a more extensive necropolis dating back to the early Iron Age. The nuragic village. Located about 200 meters south-west of the temple of Antas, there are the remains of a small village dating back to 1200 BC, consisting of numerous circular rooms built with small stones cemented with earth mortar. The village itself was once again inhabited in the late Roman age.