Tourist Attraction in Valletta: Chiesa della Nostra Signora del Carmelo
The church of Our Lady of Carmel is a church dedicated to the Madonna del Carmine. Designed by Girolamo Cassaro in 1570, was originally dedicated to the Madonna dell'Annunziata. It develops on an elliptical plan and is surmounted by an imposing 64 meters high dome. Inside there is a painting by Giuseppe D'Arena (Adoration of the Magi) and the tomb of Nicola Buhagiar, both of the seventeenth century. In 1859 the church was dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, by the will of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Valletta. The church was rebuilt in 1900 by the Carmelite friars. In 1958 it was rebuilt after the bombardments of the Second World War and in 1974 it became the parish church of the town. The altarpieces Beato Franco and Christ who receives Santa Maria Maddalena de Pazzi are by Maria De Dominici (1645 1703), a Carmelite tertiary, painter and sculptor of Maltese, a pupil of Mattia Preti.