Fort Rinella is a fort from the Victorian era on the island of Malta near Calcara. It is also referred to as Rinella Battery. Fort Rinella was built by British engineers between 1878 and 1886 on the east coast of the mouth of Grand Harbor between two other forts, Fort Ricasoli and Fort St. Rocco. Together with the now no longer existing Cambridge Battery, located on the Tigné Point in Sliema, it formed a pair of fortifications to defend the island against naval invasions. Of modest size, the fort still houses a 100-ton Armstrong Whitworth cannon inside it; no secondary weapons were planned. The Armstrong cannon was placed by the British in response to the Italian navy which in 1876 and 1878 respectively launched the Duilio and Dandolo warships armed with 22-inch steel guns and four 450-mm guns; the cannon, however, was never used in wartime. During the Second World War it was used by the British as a coastal observation point. Since 1991, the Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna Malta Heritage Trust has restored the fort, opening it to the public as a museum. Once a year, on May 5, a group of volunteers shoot with the 100-ton cannon loaded only with black powder. During the year, appearing dressed as British soldiers of the nineteenth century, they guide tourists through a tour of the fort that includes explanations and demonstrations. You can also shoot blanks with rifles and a field gun. In the 60s and 70s, the Fort was used as a location for the films Zeppelin, Shout at the Devil, and Young Winston.