The church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria is a Roman Catholic place of worship in Valletta. The building is a parish church for the Italian community of Malta, known as the Church of Santa Caterina d'Italia. Historical place of worship sponsored by the members of the Italian community settled in the Auberge d'Italie. The Italian Knights of the Order of Saint John stationed in Jerusalem placed their association under the celestial custody of Saint Catherine of Alexandria. In addition to the custody of the Holy Sepulcher, the task of protection and assistance extended to pilgrims visiting the monastery of Santa Caterina on Mount Sinai. In 1309 with the expulsion of the Order from the Holy Land, followed by a brief stay in San Giovanni d'Acri, Cyprus, and finally the settlement on the island of Rhodes. Place of worship in Rhodes. In 1392 after the transfer of the Order of the Knights Hospitaller to Rhodes, the admiral and bali of Naples Domenico d'Allemagna continued the tradition carried out in the Holy Land. Primitive place of worship at Vittoriosa Birgu. After the Order was transferred to Malta in 1530, the Italian Knights settled in the city of Birgu. Also here in the wake of the ancient tradition, a temple was built with a chapel dedicated to Saint Catherine. The first reference to the existence of the building dates back to 1560, construction remained to the Italian knights until 1572, when the members of the Nation Italy moved to the new Albergo d'Italia in Valletta, the prelate of the Order Alfonso Domenici, had instructions to hand over to the procurators of the Lingua the relics, liturgical ornaments, vestments and sacred furnishings belonging to the church, a building that continued to host the practices of Catholic worship. Primitive place of worship in Valletta. Fra Ludovico Folchi applied to be granted the chaplaincy for life with the relative emoluments, forcing himself to build a new chapel. In 1574 Girolamo Cassaro was commissioned to draw up plans for the construction of the Albergo d'Italia and, two years later, in 1576, the new temple. In March 1626 the main door was enlarged, the front staircase completely redone, the emblem of the Grand Master Gregorio Carafa was found on the façade, located above the entrance. Between 1657 and 1659 the anonymous painting of the owner was replaced by the valuable painting by Mattia Preti, depicting the mystical Marriage of Saint Catherine. The structure has an octagonal plan with a central dome surmounted by an elegant and luminous lantern. On the surface painted in monochrome trompe-l'il decorated in painted stucco and ornamental motifs in gray and gold, eight ovals are inserted representing salient episodes of the life of Saint Catherine, works of the painter Leonardo Romeo directed by Mattia Preti in 1660, among the rounds better received, those depicting the Nativity of St. Catherine, the meeting with the emperor Maximian, the Dispute with the sages of Egypt and the Torment of the sprocket. The main chapel, including the presbytery and the choir, is also surmounted by a globigerine dome frescoed by Romeo himself who portrayed the Eternal Father in Gloria. Altar right: there is a painting by Benedetto Luti depicting the Addolorata, the only work of the artist present in Malta. Altar left: there is a painting depicting the Crucifix, a work stolen in Piacenza and returned to Malta in 1720. high altar depicts the Martyrdom of Saint Catherine of Alexandria, is enclosed in a large gilded frame, carved in stone and adorned with the emblem of the Italian language surrounded by palm trees. Replaces the painting Mystic Marriage of Santa Caterina, both excellent works by Cavaliere Calabrese, the latter are of great interest in the cartoons, sketches and preparatory drawings. On the sides of the choir are two paintings, depicting the mystical Marriage of Saint Catherine with the Child Jesus and the Disputation with the wise men of Egypt.