Tourist Attraction in Sant'Agata De'Goti: Castello Ducale
After the year 1000 the Normans Drengot, become beneficiaries of the fief, transformed the city and the rudimentary Lombard tower into fortellicium, ie fortress, consisting of a real tufa stone castle built near the south gate and a reinforcement system of the kastron by means of spurs and watch towers; Roberto Drengot, count of Alife, Caiazzo, Airola and Sant'Agata de 'Goti, established his residence in the castle in front of the capital chapel, at the foot of which we can still see the factory quarry known as "la fossa". The Norman quadrangular towers are still perceived today: the castle preserves traces of the early medieval rooms on the ground floor, while on the outside it is evident the jutting body added in the nineteenth century with a series of shops. In the courtyard you can still admire the beautiful wall decorations with geometric motifs of the fifteenth century and the sixteenth-century modifications, made to transform the fortress into a prestigious noble residence: it seems that during the Angevin era Giovanna I, queen of Naples, was hosted for some time Provence, protector of the feudatories "Artus" of cadet lineage, coming from that land. After 1400, when the Artus were extinct, the castle was inhabited alternately by the De la Rath, the Cossa, and the Acquaviva. In the sixteenth century, in order to strengthen the defense towards the east, a new circular tower was built, used as a prison until modern times. The area on which the castle extends is more than 3000 square meters: close to the south gate, now Piazza Tiziano Della Ratta, was to be the space reserved for equestrian training and preparation of soldiers, then transformed into a market square , today used as a parking space. In 1696 the Carafa family of the Stadera of Maddaloni bought the castle already very remodeled as the king's prize for loyalty and loyalty demonstrated over time: to the Carafa, Neapolitan family born in the fourteenth century, divided into various descendants based on activities and fortunes, was indeed assigned for centuries the task of protecting and controlling the most important road junctions of today's Campania. It was Domenico Marzio Carafa, Duke of Maddaloni, who died in 1703, to acquire the castle of Sant'Agata at the end of the seventeenth century; he did not have much time to live there: on the other hand, the Carafa of Maddaloni possessed many houses scattered in the Land of Work, not all inhabited and inhabited. Once acquired, they were assigned to various members of the family as an inheritance, so that each of them started a new cell on their own account. The castle of Sant'Agata was assigned to the daughter of Domenico Marzio, the duchess Caterina Carafa of the Stadera di Maddaloni married to Domenico Carafa prince of Colubrano, just over twenty years old: the couple decided to live in the fiefdom because some rooms of the castle bear testimony of a renewal that would never have happened in a non-inhabited dwelling. The frescoes depicting the so-called "grotesque" images of the first-floor room where the painter Tommaso Giaquinto created a scene depicting Diana and Atteone in the early eighteenth century. In the nineteenth century the castle was ceded in its parts from time to time to local patrician families and the municipality, resulting in a fragmentation of properties and functions.