Tourist Attraction in Treviglio: Basilica di San Martino
The basilica of San Martino is the main church of the city of Treviglio. The church is located in the central square of the city, in front of the town hall. It was restored and modernized several times, so that it results a fusion of different styles. The church is dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours, represented above the main entrance; in a series of works inside the church. In June 1951, Pope Pius XII raised it to the dignity of a minor basilica. The basilica was built in 1008 where the pre-Romanesque church of the Assumption stood, and underwent various enlargement operations over the centuries. The bell tower of the basilica was built around 1000 as a civic tower, in Romanesque style, and attached to the sacred building only in 1482. The height of the building was long a matter of discord with the nearby town of Caravaggio, which boasted a highest bell tower. In 1482 the church was remodeled according to the dictates of the Lombard Gothic style of which some frescoes can be seen in the Gothic Chapel to the left of the entrance. In 1740 the façade was modernized in late baroque style by the architect Giovanni Ruggeri. The church houses one of the most important works of the Lombard Renaissance, the polyptych by Bernardo Zenale and Bernardino Butinone, built between 1485 and 1505. After about twenty years of work, it was placed on the main altar where it remained until the renovation works. the altar itself, in neoclassical style, by Pietro Pestagalli 1830. Other works of considerable interest are: the large paintings depicting The Last Supper, The Descent of the Manna and The Mystical Marriage of Santa Caterina by Gian Paolo Cavagna, who painted also the fresco scenes on the vault of the nave. The large canvases with the stories of San Martino, placed under the vault of the nave after the eighteenth-century restructuring by the Galliari brothers, are by Giovanni Stefano Danedi known as Montalto. The Assumption (now placed in the ambulatory behind the other major) and the Annunciation (in the Cappella delle Reliquie) by Camillo Procaccini. The San Girolamo nell'ambulacro behind the altar is of the Genovesino. The spectacular scenographic play of trompe-l'oeil perspectives on the vault of the church is the work of the Galliari Brothers, famous scenographers also active in the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. The frescoes on the vault with L'Assunta and San Martino are instead by Federico Ferrario. Of notable workmanship is the wooden Nativity scene carved by Giovanni Angelo Del Maino around 1515 and kept in the sacristy. Other paintings are by Nicola Moietta, Antonio Molinari and Giovanni Stefano Manetta.