The church of San Domenico is a Baroque church of Trani. It represents one of the most characteristic monuments of the city, above all thanks to the iconic sail with the window on the sky that characterize its facade. The current church was built in the second half of the eighteenth century on the area obtained demolition of the thirteenth-century church of Santa Croce, of which only the small Romanesque bell tower, incorporated in the current building, and the chapel dedicated to San Giovanni.In 1291 it became the seat of a school of theology, in particular the studium in naturis, or the teaching of Aristotelian philosophy in the fields of physics, psychology, metaphysics and astronomy. Originally assigned in 1288 to the convent of the nearby Barletta. The presence of graves and altars patronized by the main noble families of Tranesi bear witness to the importance of Santa Croce first and then of San Domenico in the different periods of the city's history. The church of San Domenico was declared a Shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary in 1966. The cult of Our Lady of the Rosary is however attested to Trani since 1600, as evidenced by the testimony of a devotional procession in acts of 1689 and the presence of a Confraternity (Confraternity) of the Most Holy Rosary) with its headquarters in San Domenico since 1712. The Confraternity became extinct around 1960. The church of San Domenico also hosted for a short time the Confraternity of San Vito Martire, one of the oldest in the city: after the demolition of the church of San Vito in 1827, located near San Domenico. The church of San Domenico is still used for worship, also hosting conferences, art exhibitions and concerts of classical music. The façade is composed of two orders, enlivened by the four very pronounced pilasters, the niches of the lateral bodies and the central window. It is crowned by a mystical mixtilinear with central opening. The façade has three empty niches: it is not known whether these niches were designed to house sculptures but have never hosted them since their construction. The church of San Domenico presents a Latin cross structure with a central dome. The interior of the building is divided into three large naves with high pillars. The numerous noble chapels and the altars present in them represent wonderful examples of Baroque art. The altars and burials are testimony to the importance of the church in the city's history: inside San Domenico there is in fact, among others, the bare burial of Giuseppe Campitelli, general of the Austrian army who died in Pilsen on 6 April in 1763 and that of Riccardo Candido, one of the promoters of the construction of the city theater, one of the first in the entire southern part of Italy. The church preserves two important pictorial works, the table of the Madonna del Rosario which gives the crown to San Domenico and the Adoration of the Shepherds. The table of the Madonna del Rosario was created in 1558 by a Tuscan Umbrian school painter. In the lower part, in smaller proportions than the other figures, is represented Fabio de Boctunis, a Tranese nobleman who donated the painting to the church of Santa Croce. The Adoration of the Shepherds is instead the altar piece of the side altar, made by the Antonacci family. The painting was performed in 1777 by the local painter Giambattista Calò: the compositional richness, the accentuated chromatic tones, are recognizable traits of the work of Calò, former author in the city of the Martyrdom of Sant'Agnese of the ceiling of the central nave of the church of Santa Chiara and of three paintings in the Church of Santa Teresa. In the church there is also a copy of Michelangelo's Pietà: the sculpture was built in 1521 and donated to the Dominican church by the noble De Angelis family.