Porta Adriana, also known as Port'Aurea Nova, is a city gate of Ravenna, located at the extreme west of Via Cavour, on the edge of the historic city center. The origins of the first Adriana gate are uncertain, but it is already present in maps of the eleventh century that place it adjacent to a channel coming from the river Po. With its position it connected the territory of Adria and the Adriatic Sea. The construction of the current building began in 1582 at the behest of Cardinal Guido Luca Ferrero and ended the following year with the addition of an epigraph (disappeared and then re-added in 1904): "PORTA AUREA NOVA ANNO SALUITS. 1583". The door was then assigned a new name (already known as Giustiniana and Teguriense), due to the use of decorative marbles coming from the recently demolished Port'Aurea. In 1615, Cardinal Domenico Rivarola restored the internal façade to the city. Further work took place in 1857, when Pope Pius XI visited the city.