Tourist Attraction in Ravenna: Basilica Santuario di Santa Maria in Porto
The basilica sanctuary of Santa Maria in Porto is an important place of Catholic worship in Ravenna. The church, which overlooks a large rectangular area with flowerbeds, is preceded by a staircase, completed in 1783. The white facade in Istria stone, a salient, is the work of Camillo Morigia and was completed in 1784. It is divided in two bands overlapped by a high cornice: the lower part, of the Ionic order, corresponds to all three naves; the upper one, of Corinthian order, corresponds only to the central nave. The lower fascia is divided into three main sectors by four others, each of which consists of two half-columns with, in the center, a niche. Inside the niches, there are statues of saints, made by the Veronese sculptor Diomiro Cignaroli. They portray, from the left: Charity, Faith, Hope and Humility. Each of the three main sectors houses a portal, with a broken pediment supported by two Ionic columns, one on each side. The central portal, larger than the other two, is surmounted by a statue of the Greek Madonna, from 1689; the columns that support the pediment are from the 5th century and come from the now disappeared Basilica of San Lorenzo in Caesarea. The upper band, on the other hand, corresponds only to the central sector and to those adjacent to it of the lower band. In the middle sector there is a large rectangular window with a balustrade, surmounted by the coat of arms of the monastery of Santa Maria in Porto; in the two lateral sectors, instead, in niches, the statues of San Lorenzo, on the left, and Piero degli Onesti. At the two ends of the façade, there are also the statues of Sant'Agostino, on the left, and Sant'Ubaldo. The facade ends with a triangular pediment, with the Marian monogram. At the crossroads between the central nave and the transept, the octagonal tiburio rises, with, on the outside, a double order; in the lower order, four windows open, one at each of the oblique sides. The lantern ends with a lantern, which is also octagonal, which reaches 53 meters in height. It has a Latin cross plan, with a classroom divided into three naves of six spans the lateral and three central, covered with vaulted ceiling. Along the side aisles, there are six chapels on each side; all the side chapels have a rectangular plan, with a barrel vault and a marble baroque altar. in the fourth right chapel, on the altar, there is the Martirio altarpiece of San Giacomo Minore, realized by the Ferrarese Ippolito Scarsella, called the Scarsellino; in the next chapel, there is the Martyrdom of Santa Margherita, by Cesare Corte, flanked by stucco statues San Pier Damiani and Pietro Peccatore, from the 18th century. In the third chapel on the left, however, there is the painting of Palma the Young Martyrdom of San Marco and, in the following one, a valuable Crucifix of the fifteenth century. Behind the altar, close to the semicircular wall, there is the valuable 16th century wooden choir by Marino Francese. Composed of 75 stalls, it is divided into two overlapping orders, the upper one with carved decorations. At the center of the apse, between two large rectangular windows, there is, within a rich gilded and carved wooden frame, the Annunciation altarpiece by Giovanni Laurentini from Rimini. On the two side walls of the apse, there are the two 18th century wooden choirs, each of which originally housed an organ. The current instrument, reuses, the previous organs, the wooden boxes and, only in part, the phonic material. In October 1960 Pope John XXIII raised it to the dignity of a minor basilica.