Tourist Attraction in Ravenna: Teatro Dante Alighieri
The Dante Alighieri Theater is the main theater in Ravenna. The theater was built at the behest of the municipal administration following the progressive deterioration of the main theater of the time, the "Community Theater". In 1838 the administration identified in the square of the Swiss the ideal place for the construction of the new structure, whose design was entrusted to the Venetians Tommaso and Giovan Battista Meduna, former restorers of the Grand Theater La Fenice in Venice. The inauguration took place on May 15, 1852 with "Roberto il diavolo" by Giacomo Meyerbeer, directed by Giovanni Nostini, followed by the dance "La zingara", with the étoile Augusta Maywood. In May 1889 Antonino Palminteri, conductor and composer, directs Il Trovatore by Giuseppe Verdi. In May 1897 Antonino Palminteri returned to Dante Alighieri to direct the ballet Sieba di Marenco and La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini, the success was so amazing, that the press was expressed: "It is therefore essential to make a precise execution to make certain differences clear. of colors, certain finesse, certain softness of expressive harmonies The Maestro PALMINTERI who feels and knows all of this, knows how to communicate to others his intellect, his feeling as an artist ". In 1929 a technical adaptation was made with the creation of the "mystic gulf", the gallery in the fourth-order stages, and the renovation of the dressing rooms. In the following decades Alighieri carved out a not inconsiderable place among the theaters of the Italian province until the first post-war period. The years 1940 and 1950 still saw an intense presence of excellent prose and magazine companies, while the musical activity focused on chamber music concerts mostly local and a lyric repertoire now passed. In the summer of 1959 the activity was interrupted due to the need to consolidate the structures: the stalls and the stage were completely redone, the tapestries and lighting system were renewed, with the placement of a new chandelier. The activities resumed after almost eight years, on 11 February 1967, with a concert by the Ljubljana Philharmonic Orchestra. The subsequent link with the Teatro Comunale di Bologna and the inclusion in the ATER circuit has encouraged the renewal of the repertoire of the opera seasons, but at the end of the 1970s they were diverted into the arena of Rocca Brancaleone. During the years 1980 and 1990, other restorations led to the remaking of the flooring of the stalls, the inclusion of air conditioning, the renewal of the tapestries and the adaptation of the outputs, becoming the official headquarters of the main events of the Ravenna Festival. On October 29, 1995 the posthumous premiere takes place in concert of "Trittico drammatico" by Francesco Balilla Pratella. On February 10th 2004, for the 350th anniversary of the birth of the Arcangelo Corelli fusignanese, the Ridotto room was officially dedicated to the composer, inaugurating, in the presence of Riccardo Muti, a bronze bust created by the German sculptor Peter Gòtz Gùttler. The Teatro Alighieri is home to the prose season, directed and organized by Ravenna Teatro.