The church of Sant'Agostino is a church in Rimini. It was the cathedral of the diocese of Rimini from 1798 to 1809. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is known as "di Sant'Agostino" as managed by the Augustinian fathers from the 13th century to the Napoleonic suppressions. Originally it was erected, in part where the sacristy is currently located, a church dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, which appears mentioned for the first time in an act of 1069. In 1256 it was granted to the Augustinian fathers, originating from a small monastery of Brittinean hermits. north of Fano, already present in the city at least since 1247, as witnessed by a bull by Pope Innocent IV. The act of granting in 1256, of the bishop Giacomo, mentions that the then parish of San Giovanni Evangelista possessed pastures, lands, vineyards, to which the bishop added a neighboring houses and a tower, besides exempting the Augustinian fathers and the inhabitants of the parish "ad omni lege diocesiana, et iurisdictione, et istitutione". The new architectural structure, including the previous one, was already in an advanced stage of construction in 1278 and nearing completion around 1287. Between these two dates we can see two changes: the first was to make the structure symmetrical, to on the east side one can notice an elongation thanks to a symmetrical angular pilaster to the chapel of the bell tower; the second was the elevation of the façade. In fact, the presence of three large Czech eyes, never open and without rings, suggest a different original hypothesis, a Romanesque style building, underlined by the red color of the bricks and the absence of plastering. The structure built became the most important of the Gothic period of Rimini, as well as the largest building ever built by a mendicant order in the city. The Gothic structure underwent several reconstruction works between 1580 and 1585, above all as regards the roof and the frescoes, driven by a bishop's decree that commanded the rector of the parish to whiten "the images of sanctums depicted in the walls and failures over time ". In the eighteenth century numerous retouchings followed that altered the original features and decorations, impressing them, especially inside, a Baroque style. Augustinian friars managed the church and the monastery until the Napoleonic suppressions. The church of Sant'Agostino is among the most impressive in the city (especially for its soaring bell tower) and still preserves part of the precious pictorial cycle of the Rimini school that adorned it before the seventeenth-century renovation works, which testified its importance religious and cultural. On the thrust of the aforementioned legacy of Malatesta the Old Mastin, the General Chapter between 1315 and 1318 commissioned the workshop of Giovanni da Rimini to decorate the choir and the tympanum above the triumphal arch, in which Giovanni's brothers also participated, namely Giuliano and Zangolo. From a legacy of 1303 that was intended to provide the high altar of a majesty of Christ and a Madonna, one could deduce that this shop already operated on site and was the creator of the two commissions. The apse and the chapel of the bell tower, the most conserved parts, present a series of frescoes dedicated to the Virgin Mary, to the life of St. John the Evangelist and to St. Augustine. At their base there are some late-fourteenth-century frescoes, in a state of precarious conservation, including a Madonna and angels of late Gothic taste. The numerous side chapels are also very interesting, with 18th century blades and stucco statues by Carlo Sarti. The stuccos by Ferdinando Bibiena, which adorn the ceiling, and the various frescoes by Vittorio Maria Bigari are also worthy of praise.