The former church of Santo Spirito and Santa Maddalena (or auditorium Francesco Cavalli) was a Catholic church of Crema, now deconsecrated. Although the church in question was built in the 16th century, its origins date back to 1277 when the brothers Alberto and Ottobono Bombelli founded the Santo Spirito Hospital. The hospital was run by friars called "della Barba", religious of the Casa della Carità of the Order of Santo Spirito and resident in the church of Santa Maddalena where they professed the charity and care of the sick. The local historian Francesco Sforza Benvenuti hypothesized that these friars belonged to the order of the regular priests of Santo Spirito in Sassia, an institution founded in 1204 by Pope Innocent III and is unknown until what year they resided in Crema. In 1497, following the decision of the General Council, the Hospital of Santa Maria Stella was founded, a lay institution that had as consequence the loss of the welfare function by the religious institutes that would have dealt with spiritual support only. The church of Santo Spirito and Santa Maddalena was built from 1511 to 1521 as shown in a framed plaque above the portal, now almost illegible, but which in 1963 Guido Verga could still decipher with difficulty: "To the Holy Spirit and to Saint Magdalene the priests assigned to the hospital erected in 1521 ". The design hand of the church has not been identified with certainty. If in the supplement dedicated to Crema of the series The hundred cities of Italy it was cited as author Vincenzo Civerchio, the aforementioned Guido Verga spoke openly of Donato Bramante in a complex essay published in 1963 in the newspaper La Provincia; nevertheless, the most recent historians, even if they found the influence of the master from the Marches, have evaluated the intervention of Agostino De 'Fondulis, whose architect's activity is also known. This would be indirectly attested by the document of commission of a Lament over the dead Christ in terracotta to be placed right in the church, in which we learn of his involvement in the building site. Other clues would be certain similarities between the building and the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Misericordia in Castelleone, designed by De 'Fondulis in 1513. The church of Santa Maddalena and the convent of Santo Spirito were unified into a single body entrusted at the end of 1589 to Third Order Regular of St. Francis, whose friars also erected a small cloister still existing. Church and convent were suppressed in 1810; the church was used as a school, then sold in 1837 to the Vimercati Sanseverino family who first used it at the theater, then in the twenties of the twentieth century to the Olimpia cinema, then became a warehouse of wood and coal, then fruit and vegetables . The Vimercati also acquired the Compost of Agostino De 'Fondulis and in 1838 they transferred it to the Pieve of Palazzo Pignano. Towards the end of the seventies, the Municipality of Crema and the Vimercati property stipulated an agreement for the free use of the building. The same municipality of Crema operated restoration interventions taking advantage of the facilities provided for by Law 285/1977. Inside the new auditorium dedicated to Francesco Cavalli, a stage was set up and around 150-180 seats; the inauguration took place on Thursday 1 May 1980; there were immediately theatrical manifestations, exhibitions of all kinds, conferences and concerts, although the hall immediately manifested serious problems of acoustics The last event recorded in the archives of newspapers dates back to the year 2000; from the cessation of the loan the former church is closed and free of any public function.