The sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie is a Marian place of worship that is located in Crema. The sanctuary is located in the historic center, at the southern limits of the fortified city near the Venetian walls. The open space in front of the church, then extended with the opening of the walls in a real street, was called in ancient Via dello Spitale and the name was changed in 1931 in the current Via delle Grazie. At the origins of the cult there is not a Marian apparition but the devotion to a votive image. Near the present church, inside the Torrione del Miliato, it was painted by Giovanni da Caravaggio during the fifteenth century an image depicting a Madonna with Child. The image was later protected by a canopy. equipped with an altar and, later, a porch with a gate. The place, however, was not appropriate: the risks of war forced the civil authorities to maintain the city's defensive apparatus with reinforcements and modernization, a matter that endangered the existence of the votive icon. The military experts repeatedly warned the ecclesiastical authorities of the possibility of having to demolish the portico to modify the place where the sacred image was situated. At the end of the 16th century the ancient church of Saints Philip and James was annexed, annexed to the convent of the Umiliati. The area was purchased by the consortium of the Blessed Sacrament and the construction of a new building began in 1601. The church was completed in 1609 and in 1613 the fresco of the tower was detached and transferred to the new building. The laying of the first stone is dated 1 June 1601 and the construction of the church lasted for nine years for various causes, including a famine and the destination of funds towards the construction of the church and the convent of the Poor Converted. In 1606 the bell tower was completed and in 1609 the church was consecrated; in 1613 the sacred image was transferred to it in the presence of the religious authorities (led by the bishop of Crema, monsignor Gian Giacomo Diedo) and civilians (mayor and captain Pietro Capello), the administrators and the faithful. The sources we received today are uncertain to date during the year the image shift: 18 January, 25 July or 25 August: in fact, this date is still today that of the celebration. The detached image with part of the wall was placed on the bottom of the presbytery in a church still devoid of any other decoration. After 1620 the church was equipped with a crucifix and a gate that separated the hall from the presbytery. In 1641 Gian Giacomo Barbelli was entrusted with the task of frescoing the interior of the church entirely: work carried out over a period of two years. Significant events were not reported for the sanctuary until the nineteenth century: the church, being a subsidiary of the parish of the Holy Trinity, escaped the demolitions of the Napoleonic era. Moreover, in 1804, a new concert of bells was put together by the company Crespi. In 1824 the dismantling of the gate dates back and a new altar was built with the consequent lifting of the ancient and venerated image and the laying of two marble statues. Between 1834 and 1835 a new organ was placed by the company Serassi di Bergamo. At a request by the bishop of Crema, Monsignor Francesco Sabbia, October 1891 the Vatican Chapter granted the coronation of the image of the Madonna with the Child: restorations were prepared and the painter Angelo Bacchetta put his hands on the paintings. The official ceremony took place on 8 September 1892 with the presence of Monsignor de Neckere of the Vatican Chapter and Monsignor Geremia Bonomelli, bishop of Cremona. Two days later, on 11 September, the Bishop of Mantua, Monsignor Giuseppe Melchiorre Sarto, future Pope Pius X, celebrated a solemn pontifical celebration.