The Torre Pretoria, or Torre Guelfa, or Torre del Capitano is a civil construction of medieval origins narrow between the Renaissance Palazzo comunale and Palazzo Pretorio in Crema. It is a building dating back at least three centuries before the building of the Town Hall started in 1524 and refers to the stylistic features of the Duomo; some historians date it precisely to the year 1286. Over the centuries it underwent some changes such as the opening of the square windows on the first floor framed in a high rusticated strip, in addition to the balcony windows on the second floor. In the prints, as well as in the vintage photos of the first half of the twentieth century, the tower appeared plastered with angular stripes in ashlar throughout the height; furthermore, on the upper part there was a large sundial with its protruding rod. The tower was affected by the restoration works of the years 1959 and 1962 occurred on the Town Hall and Palazzo Pretorio with the consolidation of the foundations, reconstruction of the internal stairs and the roof. On this occasion the plaster was removed leaving the tower entirely in exposed brick - except for the ashlar strip on the first floor - and the half-round single-lancet windows on the upper part were reopened. The tower is located between the Town Hall and the Praetorian Palace, rising above the side buildings. The first floor is rusticated with two square windows, while on the second floor there are two balcony openings with wrought iron railings flanked on the outer sides and on levels offset by two marble coats of arms of Venetian podestà, A lion of San Marco placed above two epigraphs; above the lion opens a small single window. Completing the upper part are the three single-lancet windows reopened also on the sides during the twentieth-century restorations, in line with the oculo windows located in the eaves. The high relief depicting the lion placed at the center of the tower was originally hoisted on the Ripalta Gate. During the early stages of the French occupation (1509-1512), which took place after the Battle of Agnadello, the sculpture was moved to Milan, probably to send it to France. It was brought back to Crema due to the interest of the Podestà Costantino Priuli in 1558 and walled up on the tower. In the early days of the French occupation of 1797 it was covered with cement, removed in 1881. Under the Lion there are two epigraphs. The first one recalls its position in 1558: "ABDUCTUS A GALLIS ASTAE OBSCURUS IACUI NUNC RESTITUTS PATRIAE INSIGNIS MANEO CONST. PRIULI PR OPERA MARMOREO CULTAS OPERE EXCITAVIT ". The second writing of 1881 re-evokes the restoration to its original condition:" PREVALENT GALLIA PROPE DIRITUS 1881 IVOTO CIVIUM INSTAURATUS "On the tower, in continuity with those placed on the Town Hall, there are two coats of arms of Venetian podestà. the first and the second floor the coat of arms of the Martinengo family, Silvio Martinengo was Podestà and Capitano between the month of July 1750 and the month of December 1752. The one on the right is partially superimposed on the walls of Palazzo Pretorio, the authors Marco Ermentini and Lidia Ceserani attributed it to the podestà Pietro Bondumier, dating it to the year 1613, but the statement contrasts with the list of Venetian podestà published in the volume "History of Cream collected for Alemanio Fino, from the annals of M. Pietro Terni, reprinted in Giovanni Solera's care "in which no exponent of this family appears, and in 1613 the mandate of the podestà Pietro Cappello is mentioned (August 16 12 and July 1614).