The Palazzo Vescovile, formerly Palazzo della Notaria, is the seat of the diocese of Crema. At the beginning of the 16th century, the north-east area of Piazza Duomo had to appear rather untidy, with the canons' houses, the sacristies and, it seems, a second bell tower. Already in the year 1534, pursuing a project of urban reorganization, it was proposed to modify this urban area by building a building in close aesthetic relation to the town hall, but the idea did not obtain the majority of the votes of the members of the Grand Council. The decision, however, received a favorable opinion a few years later and the new building was elevated under the supervision of Pietro Terni between 1548 and 1549, perhaps at the request of the brothers Giacomo and Francesco Barbo, the two Venetian podestà (brothers) who ruled city in two distinct but consecutive mandates in those years. According to Perolini, the façade would have been modified in 1555 with the construction of the current portico in substitution of the original conception that expected it to go down to the ground. The date that you read on the capital of the second column shows the inscription: "A.DI - XXIII APRIL 1548" which, according to Perolini's opinion, would be engraved later and testify to the laying of the foundation stone. Its primary function was that of residence of the Colleges of Notaries, from which the primitive name of Palazzo della Notaria. However, on 11 April 1580 the "Super Universas" bubble was issued with which Pope Gregory XIII instituted the diocese of Crema: so the anomalies and discomforts of a city and of a county divided between the bishops of Piacenza and those of Cremona (and, to a small extent, Lodi), a situation consequent to the prerogatives of the Municipalities in the Middle Ages on Insula Fulcheria achieved with bloody sieges and battles; moreover, it was also the conclusion of a long process begun in 1451 with the start of the practices for its establishment. The bull, moreover, was paid by the same Cremaschi: it cost 800 scudos, half coming from public funding and half asked for all male individuals (excluding clergymen) aged over 14 years. Already a month before, with deed dated March 3, 1580 drawn up by the notary Pier Francesco Guarino, it was decided to donate the palace to the pontiff to make it a bishop's residence. The first bishop to reside was Girolamo Diedo, who took over in 1584 his nephew Gian Giacomo, both exponents of a noble Venetian family. It was these who decided to expand the building by building a new wing near the northern side of the Cathedral and its opening for blessings. Few events are to be noted in the centuries before the twentieth century, including the consequences of the suppression of the seminary (July 31, 1797) during the French invasion that forced the bishop Antonio Maria Gardini to take the decision to host clerics in episcopium. During the short Austro-Russian domination (1799-1800), the commander of the Russian garrison Listowki was hosted, later the palace was requisitioned and destined in 1802 to sub-prefecture; finally, it was returned to the neo-Bishop Tommaso Ronna in 1807.