Porta Serio is a monumental gateway to the historic center of Crema. Porta Serio as it appears in a map of Crema of 1681, by an unknown author, drawing in pen and sepia ink, with watercolor colors, on paper, kept in the municipal library of Treviso. The historical evolution before the construction of the Venetian walls is not clear, perhaps there was already an entrance to the entrance of the current Via Giuseppe Mazzini, while outside it was forming the extra moenia village of San Benedetto. The historian Peter Terni cites the story of the reconstruction of the walls of 1199, outside which were built some mills. The area of the castle and Porta Series, Extract of the map of Crema created by Pierre Mortier, etching, Amsterdam, 1708. Since the fourteenth century it was flanked by a castle while, in the Venetian era, a bastion was added externally to cover both, a "horned work" that was "so cramped, that it does not cover that main door of the Serio, nor less its inner square, which is seen from the countryside". A map of the city not dated, but dating back to the years 1681/1682, reports the prospect and was in those times in partial reconstruction; in fact, a caption reads "Prospect of the Door that is being done at the Porta del Serio". Porta Serio in 1896, with the toll booths, taken from "The hundred cities of Italy", Sonzogno Editore, 1896. The new government of the Cisalpine Republic decreed in 1803 Crema "open city", thus initiating the dismantling of the city's defensive system. Starting from 1804 the correspondence of the municipal administration began with the architect Faustino Rodi for a restructuring of the two main gates of the city, Porta Serio and Porta Ombriano. In his analysis, Rhodes defined the two decadent structures, precarious, in need of repairs and with steps now considered narrow. His project foresaw a substantial rebuilding in neoclassical style, as it was actually realized, with the door flanked by tollhouses. Abolished the entry into the city in the early twentieth century, in 1919 the demolition of the tollhouses was made and the two doors were isolated. Just the proximity of Porta Serio was the scene of one of the first tragic episodes of the Nazi-Fascist occupation in Crema; on 15 September 1943 a German armored car Contras 47 arrived and stopped in Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi, arousing the curiosity of some citizens; two soldiers fired a few gunshots, killing seventeen-year-old student Domenico Pizzochero. The door is characterized by two high Ionic columns that support a high central archway with strongly protruding shelves; Inside is the large round arched entrance arch. The side sections are in rusticated with two overlapping orders. Above the trabeation is the aedicula with a triangular tympanum, flanked by two statues. It differs from the external one due to the lack of the newsstand and the "negative" effect of the columns that arise from a shadowy room, perhaps inspired by a project by Luigi Cagnola realized at Porta Ticinese in Milan. The fornice supports four statues. According to Francesco Sforza Welcome the statues were found in the castle of Porta Serio. The statues were desired by the same Rhodes to emphasize the commercial vocation of the city. During the restoration of the early nineties of the twentieth century it was possible to carry out a careful study. The statues of the external front, two, carved in Botticino marble and represent two female figures. It is about Italy and France, with long high-waisted dress supported by one hand while with the other they hold leaves and flowers. Not if you know the author but you find the neoclassical characters inspired by the French examples and the school of Antonio Canova.