Tourist Attraction in Ischia: Museo Archeologico di Pithecusae
The Archaeological Museum of Pithecusae is located in Lacco Ameno, on the island of Ischia, in the metropolitan city of Naples. The headquarters is located in the main building of the Villa Arbusto complex. In 1947, Giorgio Buchner and the volcanologist Alfred Rittman created a museum, called Museo dell'Isola d'Ischia, which would later be merged, together with the findings found in the following excavations, into the new Archaeological Museum of Pithecusae. The museum, officially inaugurated on 17 April 1999 in the presence of leading scholars as Sir John Boardman, oxoniense professor, and the head conservator of the Louvre Museum, Alain Pasquier, is based in Villa Arbusto. The villa was built in 1785 by Don Carlo Acquaviva, Duke of Atri, where the shrub farm was located. In 1805 the Acquaviva men's line became extinct, the property, after having passed through many hands, was purchased in 1952 by Angelo Rizzoli, then by the Municipality of Lacco Ameno, with the contribution of the Province and Region, to become the seat of the museum. The museum illustrates the history of the island, from prehistory to the Roman age, and occupies the first floor of the building. The main findings of the museum concern the findings made at Pithecusa, the Greek settlement founded in the second quarter of the eighth century Avanti Cristo, excavated by Giorgio Buchner from 1952. Many of the vases, including the best known Nestor's Cup, come from the necropolis of the valley of San Montano, used since the second half of the eighth century Avanti Cristo for almost a thousand years: the famous cup can in fact be counted as the first and most ancient example of Greek writing. In reality, it is a three-way epigram engraved in the Euboean alphabet, probably concerning the famous vase of Nestore dell'Iliade. Other terracottas date back to the nearby acropolis of Monte di Vico, especially canteen ceramics, painted in black (the so-called Campana A) and traded in much of the Mediterranean. The testimonies of the Roman period, minor due to the modest inhabited area (due to the continuous volcanic eruptions), are represented by some marble votive reliefs of the Sanctuary of the Nymphs of Nitrodi, in Barano, and some lead and tin ingots of a nearby foundry, today submerged.