The Calandrino tower (or Bell tower of the Chiesa del Soccorso) is located in the historic center of Alcamo. There are no historical references that indicate a period on the origin of this building before 1519, although according to some it dates back to the Arab domination in Sicily, becoming the oldest existing building in the historic center of Alcamo, also prior to the Castle of the Counts di Modica (1350), which is supposed to be originally a watchtower, to be adapted to a bell tower. Form and structure of this construction (detachment from the church, cistern and other features within it) could also suggest that it existed before 1519 and 1520 and then rebuilt. It would thus have functioned both as a watchtower and as a bell tower; in fact, it was purchased by the Diocese of Trapani in the early 1400s; the church of Santa Maria del Soccorso took advantage of it after the mother church, which had used it as a bell tower, had built its own. Two bells were then installed: a larger one on the west side and a smaller one on the north side, disassembled around 1950 for security reasons; it remained abandoned to itself until the mid-1800s, when a part was sold to other private citizens. Today the tower is owned by Mr. Ignazio Calandrino, who although adapting it to his needs, wanted to maintain its originality. Neither from the quotation of Giuseppe Polizzi, nor from that of the historian from Alba Ignazio De Blasi, one has the possibility to establish the year of its construction; but this can be inferred from the artistic guide of the city of Alcamo of 1884, published by Francesco Maria Mirabella and Pietro Maria Rocca, where on page 18, it is written. Climbing up Corso, not far from the said Oratory (the church of Santa Caterina) and next to a beautiful tower-shaped bell tower, erected in 1519 and 1920, seen the church of Santa Maria del Soccorso. There are, in fact, two contracts: in the first, 1519, a certain Baldassare Cannone sells to two rectors of the Confraternity 100 slabs of strong stone, for the construction of the bell tower of the same Confraternity, in 1520 (at the notary Orofino), Vincenzo Maniscalco and Nicolò Di Chiara sells to Pietro Tabone, who represents the Confraternity, another 200 small slabs of stone and another 20 larger ones. What was stated in the two contracts corresponds, in terms of quantity and size, to the material used for the construction of the bell tower, for which the construction of this building certainly dates back to the first half of the fifteenth century. The tower is not part of the body of the Church of the Soccorso, as it is detached from the same about 70 centimeters: only two sides are visible today, since the rest is hidden by the neighboring buildings. The main part of the building (excluding the one where the bell is placed) is 16.35 meters high: there is a small sixteenth-century style frame in the middle part, and another one incomplete. The base, 1.65 meters high, is of well-squared stones, about 65 centimeters long, and about 40 centimeters wide, as those indicated in the act of July 30, 1519. The building is still perfectly intact, although during the centuries has undergone some changes: the balcony overlooking the course April 6, for example, was added around 1700. Inside the building is a spiral stone staircase leading to the terrace, consisting of 85 steps (of which 50 spiral and compact), on average 24 cm each. This staircase has not undergone any restoration: on the walls of the rooms there is still the black color of the smoke from the torches that for centuries have given light inside the rooms. At the base of the tower there is a large cistern that received rainwater from the terrace, through a special pipeline, useful for those who lived there. Although having original access to the little square Monsignor Ricceri, it can be accessed directly from the house of which it is an integral part.