The civic museum of Barletta was born in the late nineteenth century with a first collection of archaeological finds donated by citizens and placed in the municipal library. Over a period of twenty years, the original nucleus was enriched with paintings by baroque artists: Geremia Di Scanno, Giuseppe De Nittis, Vincenzo De Stefano, Giambattista Calò, Giuseppe Gabbiani. With subsequent donations, the collections took on greater consistency, thanks to Léontine De Nittis's legacy, to Gabbiani's autograph and collection works, to the acquisition of Raffaele Girondi's works, to the donation of Ferdinando Cafiero in 1936. From 1929 the Museum it has been housed in the complex of the former convent of San Domenico, since 2003 it has been reopened in the rooms of the castle of Barletta. The exhibition area on the first floor is divided into three sections: "Galleria Antica", with works by Luca Giordano, Francesco Solimena and Francesco De Mura, "Galleria dell'Ottocento", with paintings collected by local collectors, which include particular Neapolitan artists, including Gioacchino Toma, Eduardo Dalbono, Giuseppe Cammarano, Francesco Paolo Michetti; "Galleria di Ferdinando Cafiero". It includes more than 50 works dating back to the end of the fourteenth century and the second half of the eighteenth century, coming largely from the legacy of Giuseppe Gabbiani: nine oils by Francesco De Mura, three by Francesco Solimena and Andrea Vaccaro , two by Luca Giordano, Cesare Fracanzano and Andrea Belvedere, as well as the paintings by Giuseppe Recco, Giambattista Tiepolo, Mattia Preti, Anton Raphael Mengs. To these are added the religious subjects of Giacinto Diano and Paolo De Matteis. Among the most relevant themes, that of the Madonna with the Child, exemplified by the paintings of the Master of Santa Barbara in Matera, and those of Raffaello and Leonardesque school; the still life is represented by the works of Giuseppe Recco and Andrea Belvedere, interpreters of the seventeenth-century art of the "Fioranti". At the Baroque are connected the religious works signed by Luca Giordano as well as the iconography of Maddalena in the paintings of Andrea and Nicola Vaccaro. Equally impressive, at the end of the itinerary, the nucleus of works dedicated to the eighteenth century, exemplified by artists such as Francesco Solimena and Francesco De Mura. Anton Raphael Mengs and Francesco Solimena close the ancient gallery on the theme of court painting: both portray Carlo di Borbone, returning two different official images of the sovereign. Through the over 40 paintings it represents an opportunity to get to know the production of three Barlettan artists (Gabbiani, De Stefano and Girondi), almost contemporaries of De Nittis, all students of Giambattista Calò. In the room dedicated to Giuseppe Gabbiani, besides the autograph works, it is possible to find the artistic languages, among others, of Toma, Netti, Dalbono, Irolli, Palizzi, Cammarano, Ciletti, Pio Joris, Postiglione. In the core of Vincenzo De Stefano the artistic path focuses on the nudes, the plastic drawings, the landscape. The nineteenth century gallery concludes in the "Girondi room", on the theme of experimentations on the landscape from the real cultured in the Barlettan countryside, in the Venetian views, in the Parisian environments. It includes a selection of objects collected by Ferdinando Cafiero: objects in wood, silver, iron, bronze, copper, marble, ceramics, terracotta, paintings, prints and engravings, documenting, in compliance with the intentions of the collector, the history of Italian craftsmanship.