Tourist Attraction in Trapani: Chiesa del Collegio dei Gesuiti
The church of the Jesuit college is a baroque church in Trapani, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, in the historic center. On the right of the church, there is the building of the former college, while the former convent overlooks Via Roma. When the Jesuits arrived in Trapani, in 1581 and in 1596, they obtained permission to build the church, thanks to the donations of the city Senate, with annexed the college, and the convent. The church was designed in 1614 by the Jesuit Messinese architect Natale Masuccioed and is one of the most significant Baroque monuments of the city. The church was consecrated in 1705. After the suppression of the Society of Jesus in 1767, the Jesuit Fathers had to leave Trapani in 1770 and their assets passed under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Mazara del Vallo. The College, then became the high school gymnasium Ximenes after the unification of Italy, while the convent was the seat of the court until the 50s of the 900. The interior has three naves, with columns and arches in Serliana. The walls are decorated with stuccos made by Bartolomeo Sanseverino, a student of the Serpotta, and by marbles. In the eighteenth century it was built by the architect Giovanni Biagio Amico la Cappella di Sant'Ignazio, valuable painting depicting St. Ignatius of Loyola, by Vito Carreca. Among the paintings there is a painting depicting St. Francis Xavier by Pietro Novelli, an altarpiece depicting the Immaculate Conception by Geronimo Gerardi and a wooden wardrobe in the sacristy of Pietro Orlando. In the apse there is the icon of the Immaculate Conception, sculpted in 1766 by relief on white marble, by Ignazio Marabitti. The precious works of inlays of colored marbles are prominent in the church; among the most valuable the altar dedicated to St. Ignatius of Loyola and the precious pulpit. Building designed in 1613 by the Jesuit-born Jesuit Christmas architect Masuccio. In 1767 with the expulsion and suppression of the Society of Jesus, the College became the headquarters of the Bourbon schools and in 1834 it became Real High School Leonardo Ximenes. The vast library was moved to Palermo and then it was lost: today the books and documents are scattered among the Central Library of the Sicilian Region, the Jesuit fund of the National Library of Paris, the historical archive of the Jesuits of Rome, the Fardelliana Library.