Tourist Attraction in Trapani: Chiesa delle Anime Sante del Purgatorio
The Church of the Souls in Purgatory is a church in the city of Trapani. Important for the Catholic cult, it is the seat during the year of the "20 sculptural groups" of the procession of the mysteries, during the holy week. It is located in piazzetta Purgatorio. Started in 1688 on a project by Don Pietro Castro, while the facade, dated 1712, is due to the Trapani architect Giovanni Biagio Amico who is buried in the church.
Inside the plant is a Latin cross with three naves. It is divided into two orders and adorned with twelve stuccoed stone statues of the twelve Apostles and Jesus, made by Alberto Orlando. The impetus of the central part, higher and the movement in the lower order, develops the dynamic effects of Baroque architecture, deviating from the prevailing neoclassicist fashion. Damaged during the Second World War, it was reopened for worship in 1962.