The tower of Ligny is an ancient coastal tower located at the western end of the city of Trapani, between the Tyrrhenian sea and the Sicilian channel. It was erected in 1671 by order of the Captain of the Kingdom of Sicily Claude Lamoral, prince of Ligne (in Belgium) during the Spanish domination of Sicily, on the rocks that form the continuation of the narrow tongue of land of the ancient city, formerly called Pietra Palazzo. It was erected to defend the city from the raids of barbaric pirates. In 1806 the passage that connected it with the earth was made practicable. Until 1861, cannons were installed on the roof. During the Second World War it was used by the Navy as an anti-aircraft post. Built on a project by Carlos De Grunembergh. The quadrangular tower, which narrows upwards, was equipped with four masonry guards and formerly equipped with lanterns. It was restored in 1979. Inside in 1983 the Museum of Prehistory and the Museum of the Sea was established by Professor Francesco Torre, now called Torre di Ligny Civic Museum, with prehistoric finds on the ground floor and a marine archaeological room. The Tower of Ligny now proposes itself to visitors in its splendid guise of a deputation tower, totally restored inside.