The Piazza Ducale di Vigevano is a vast Renaissance-style square. Its construction began in 1492 at the request of Ludovico il Moro as an antechamber of the Castle and was completed in 1494. 134 meters long and 48 wide, it is built on three sides, with homogeneous buildings with a façade and porticoes the Roman model described by Vitruvius. Originally, the area was characterized by a wide road surrounded by buildings in large porches, including that of the City, the result of the fourteenth-century expansion developed north of the fortified promontory of the ancient village disappeared with the Visconti and Sforza transformations that led to realization of the current "castle". At the village and the primitive adjoining castle, located in a raised position, it was accessed by means of a ramp or perhaps a staircase placed at the current tower that serves as the entrance to the castle. The new square was built under the direction of the ducal engineer Ambrogio da Corte with the demolition of the houses located towards the slope on which the castle stands and the reuse of buildings to the north and west, aligning them with the reconstruction of the facades. The Sforza construction had the south side interrupted, in correspondence with the tower, by a wide ramp connecting the square with the castle; the west side extended until the castle escarpment. And it was divided into two parts joined by a triumphal arch placed at the beginning of the Via del Popolo, while on the north side, in correspondence of the connection with the west one, right in front of the ramp, there was a triumphal arch with three arches corresponding to the 'entrance to via Giorgio Silva. The facades appeared to be totally decorated with frescoes. The current form is the result of the intervention of 1680, made by the bishop Juan Caramuel Lobkowitz, in which the ramp is demolished and built a staircase inserted in the completion of the missing section of the south side, part of the west side (towards the castle) is incorporated into the south body. The layout of the square is definitively modified by the Caramuel with the construction of the new facade of the cathedral: a concave facade, leaning against the church like a theatrical backdrop, which embraces and welcomes the enclosure of the square reversing the sforzesco square-castle relationship turning it into a church square. In the unknown era, perhaps in the mid-eighteenth century, the triumphal arches were replaced, completing the rhythm of the arches, with new columns of material and workmanship different from those of the fifteenth century. In the first half of the eighteenth century the Austrian occupants placed a statue of San Giovanni Nepomuceno, which still today characterizes the western side of the square. The paving with pebbles and slabs of serizzo dates back to the mid-nineteenth century, when the flooring of the porticoes, originally in herringbone bricks, was replaced with the current one. In 1911, by the architect Moretti, the design was made with white pebbles and the street lamps were inserted. Between 1905 and 1910 an extensive restoration was carried out, bringing to light the fragments of the Sforza frescoes, hidden by eighteenth-century paintings by the Vigevano painters Casimiro Ottone and Luigi Bocca, which integrates the fragments with a new pictorial decoration in Renaissance style; during the works the roofs are redone with the realization of the eclectic chimneys and the current street lamps are installed. On the occasion of the 500 of its construction, between 1992 and 1996, the repaint of the decoration of the beginning of the century is carried out and the restoration of what remains of the original Sforza frescos. Currently the square is a meeting and meeting place, certainly the favorite of the Vigevanesi, and the main point of reference for tourists. It welcomes shops of various kinds and also the stop of the city's tourist train.