Tourist Attraction in Acquarica del Capo : Chiesa di San Carlo Borromeo
The Church of San Carlo Borromeo, It was the parish church from 1619 to 1975 the third, after those of the Madonna dei Panetti and San Giovanni Battista. It was built at the beginning of the seventeenth century and is one of the first parishes dedicated to the Milanese saint bishop, San Carlo Borromeo, canonized in 1610. On the main entrance is the date 1661 which probably refers to necessary renovations due to the collapse of the bell tower as reported in a report by Bishop De Rossi. It is certain that in 1664 Giovanni Antonio de Capo had the chapel dedicated to the Annunciation of Mary built with an elegant altar and with his own tomb. Perhaps this was the origin of the construction of the side aisle that flanked the central one. The interior has two naves. The large nave has the main altar in Lecce stone, which bears the coats of arms of the town on its sides. Overlooking an eighteenth-century pipe organ, the wooden pulpit is flanked by it. The floor was redone in 1951 when the cemetery below was emptied. On the left side, in the center of the church, there is the altar dedicated to the patron saint, full of ornaments and depictions of saints on the central canvas, in the side statues and in the bas-reliefs; among these stands out that of the dead Christ in frontal of the altar. Remained in the nineteenth century are the altars of the Immaculate and the Madonna del Rosario with an ancient canvas depicting the joyful, painful and glorious mysteries of the life of Mary. To the left of the entrance is the baptismal font. In the side aisle remains the canvas of the Madonna del Carmine of the ancient altar; instead, the Madonna of Constantinople disappeared. Valuable statues of the patron and others depicting the Madonna. Until the early sixties, next to the façade, there was the ancient clock tower; among its ruins was found the epigraph of 1772 that was walled outside the eastern wall.