Tourist Attraction in Pompei: Santuario della Beata Vergine del Santo Rosario
The pontifical sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin of the Holy Rosary is the main place of Catholic worship in Pompeii. Numerous personalities and saints visited you including St. Ludovico da Casoria, St. Luigi Guanella, St. Giuseppe Moscati, St. Leonard Murialdo, St. Padre Pio da Pietrelcina and St. Francesca Saverio Cabrini. Among the popes who visited the sanctuary are St. John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Francis. The history of the sanctuary is linked to that of the blessed Bartolo Longo, its founder, and of the Countess Marianna de Fusco, with whom he shared a life dedicated to the service of the most needy. The sanctuary was built thanks to the spontaneous offerings of the faithful from all over the world. Its construction began on May 8, 1876 by collecting the offer of one penny a month. First to follow the work was Antonio Cua, a professor at the University of Naples, who directed the construction of the rustic part for free. Giovanni Rispoli later took care of the decoration and the monumental façade inaugurated in 1901. The sanctuary was elevated to papal basilica major by Pope Leo XIII on May 4, 1901. A Latin cross, initially had a single nave with apse, dome, four side chapels and two chapels on the cruise. On either side of the sanctuary there were two other chapels with separate entrances but intercommunicating with the central nave: on the left, the chapel of Santa Caterina da Siena, where the painting of the Madonna was initially exhibited during the construction of the sanctuary; on the right, the chapel of the Santissimo Salvatore that took the place of the homonymous parish that stood in that place until 1898 and which was then rebuilt a few tens of meters away. In 1925 the 88-meter tall bell tower was completed. With the passage of time and the considerable increase in the number of the faithful, it became necessary to extend the sanctuary built between 1934 and 1938 on a project by Chiappetta. The sanctuary had three naves (the central one was not modified) while the apse and the dome were enlarged. The exteriors were covered in harmony with the monumental façade, making the sanctuary look like a large Roman basilica. It was the destination of pilgrimages by Pope John Paul II on October 21, 1979 and October 7, 2003, by Pope Benedict XVI on October 19, 2008 and by Pope Francis on March 21, 2015. On November 11, 1962 in the square in front of the sanctuary was placed the monument to Bartolo Longo, work of the sculptor ravegnano Domenico Ponzi. At the solemn inaugural ceremony the then president of the republic intervened, Antonio Segni. As well as a destination for pilgrimages, the sanctuary attracts many tourists fascinated by its majesty. Every year over four million people visit the sanctuary which is therefore among the most visited in Italy. In particular, on May 8 and the first Sunday of October, tens of thousands of faithful flock to the city of Pompeii to witness the devotional practice of the Supplication of the Madonna of Pompeii (World Time, recited by the devotees of the Madonna del Rosario at the same time everywhere they are) written by the Blessed Bartolo Longo and broadcast by radio and television all over the world. It is one of the most important and visited Marian shrines in Italy. Word processing: Giovambattista Spagnuolo (Myooni).