The Tower of Gediminas is a guard tower located on the hill homonym, which dominates the city of Vilnius, Lithuania's capital. Originally was part of a castle already missing. There is a cable car leading up to the tower, which houses a archaeological museum. The first known fortifications were built in this place in wood by Gediminas, Grand Duke of Lithuania. The first castle built in brick was completed in 1409, at the time of the great duke vitautas. This construction if retain some leftovers, which have been restored recently. The first tower from the xiii century, and had more than one floor of time. Its walls were damaged during the Russian occupation of 1655-1661. was restored in 1930 to accommodate a museum. The Tower is considered a symbol of the city and the country, and as such it appears in the litas, the national currency. In the same way, mentioned in a number of poems and songs.