Tourist Attraction in Stornarella: Beata Vergine Maria della Stella
The parish church was established in Stornarella in 1775, and a parish priest and a coadjutor were appointed with the honorarium and their respective houses. It was nothing but a rural chapel, narrow and narrow, the same that had been used by the ex-Jesuits, small in size; the length of 42 palms and the width of 20 palms, without presbyter, without sacristy "or other appropriate place for the priest to wear the sacred furnishings". In 1817 it was proposed the enlargement of the church, more proportionate to the population and to the "Abruzzese foreigners who, eight months of the year lived there nearby", of the town of Stornarella. that during the holidays they attended the mass. The church needed above all the necessity of the construction of a bell tower, to be able to place the bell that some citizens, we had previously purchased and after many controversies with various projects in 1829, the citizens decided to carry out the enlargement works of the church, which were realized in economy scheme.
The definitive works of enlargement of the church and of the bell tower were carried out between 1835 and 1837. Next to the ancient church there was the cemetery, accessed by a stone staircase, which led to an underground room of solid construction, plastered and whitewashed. the same entrance was closed and closed in 1838, with the entry into service of the new cemetery. In the course of some maintenance work, there was a failure of the floor and brought to light the old staircase and the old cemetery. A few years ago you can visit the site by descending the ladder and access the ancient underground areas cleaned up and arranged. "Collaboration text Pro Loco Stornarella"