Tourist Attraction in Rocchetta Sant'Antonio: Castello d'Aquino
The Castle of Aquino is one of the few examples of military architecture of Rocchetta Sant'antonio and is substantially intact. Completed in 1507 at the behest of Ladislao II d'Aquino and gave the start to the development of the country, now recognizable in the district "citadel". The construction of the castle took place in two distinct phases, but close in time. The tower is functionally independent of the rest of the castle. The towers are of the house-like type, the type that allows coexistence, given by the mass and the section of the masonry which offers greater resistance than the circular section. The shape of the pentagonal bastion which has the face drawn by the defense line. The tapered axis is directed towards the citadel, as on the other sides the castle defended itself thanks to the natural orographic course of the hill. According to some sources, instead, in the place where the tower is currently located, a Norman tower was previously located. Currently the battlements of the main tower are not visible following a rise of the tower in the mid 1700s after a partial collapse due to the terrible earthquake of 1712. The imposing building built in yellow-ocher limestone typical of the place is distributed over four levels; on the ground floor there are the main service rooms, from which you access the upper floor where all the residential areas are located; on the second floor we find the same rooms on the lower floor, while on the third floor there is a single room from which the access staircase to the tower of a fuselage starts. "Collaboration text Pro Loco Rocchetta Sant'antonio"