Tourist Attraction in Lerici: Chiesa di San Giorgio
The church of San Giorgio is a religious building, in the hamlet of Tellaro in Lerici, in the Gulf of the Poets in the province of La Spezia. The parish of the same name was located here, later transferred to the new parish church of Stella Maris, of the diocese of La Spezia-Sarzana-Brugnato. Built on the spur of rock southwest of the seaside village, the church dates back to the sixteenth century. The parish headquarters will be transferred to the new church named after the Stella Maris, built in 1942, as well as the baptismal font, in the Baroque style, and the statue of the church's titular saint.
Still preserves inside a 16th century marble altarpiece carved with the technique of bas-relief. According to a popular legend, it was the bells of the church of San Giorgio, played by a giant octopus, to awaken the inhabitants of the village allowing them to expel a sudden night assault by Saracen pirates. Of this curious event he also mentions it in an inscription in the church that cites: Saraceni mare nostrum infestantes sunt noctu profligati quod polipus aer ciris suis sacrum pulsabat. Word processing: Giovambattista Spagnuolo (Myooni)