Tourist Attraction in Chioggia: Museo di Zoologia Adriatica "Giuseppe Olivi"
The Museum of Adriatic zoology "Giuseppe Olivi" is a university museum open to the public, housed in the rooms on the second and third floor of Palazzo Grassi, eighteenth-century residence of the Grassi family in Chioggia, in the province of Venice. The museum exhibits the historical zoological collection of Trieste and Rovigno, acquired by the University of Padua in 1968 by Professor Umberto D'Ancona. The marine animals are kept in liquid and were collected exclusively in the Adriatic between the second half of the nineteenth century and 1943. The museum presents marine organisms and environments, telling about the biology, ecology and fishing traditions. It houses a specimen of elephant shark or cetorino, an 8-meter female mistakenly caught in 2003 off the coast of Chioggia. It owes its name to the naturalist Chioggiotto Giuseppe Olivi, who lived in the eighteenth century, author of the first Adriatic Zoology. Palazzo Grassi is a palace in Chioggia. Overlooking the Canal Vena, it was built at the beginning of the eighteenth century commissioned by a powerful merchant family, the Grassi. In Venice, the Grassi family built the homonymous palace, overlooking the Grand Canal. The abode of Chioggia was first bought by the Paduan Zadra of Pontelongo and, in 1851, by the bishop Jacopo Dè Foretti, who donated it to the city to be used as a hospital. With its new function, enlargements were necessary: in the first half of the twentieth century the south wing and the east wing were built. The palace remained the city hospital until the seventies. The more than 300 pieces exhibited in the Museum come from the collection kept for over 40 years at the "Umberto D'Ancona" hydrobiological station in Chioggia. The original nucleus of the collection was collected in the second half of the nineteenth century in Trieste, through the work of the Sant'Andrea Zoological Station. Word processing: Giovambattista Spagnuolo (Myooni)