Tourist Attraction in Belgrade: Church of Saint Sava
The Temple of San Sava, is the largest Orthodox church in the world, and is located in Belgrade, capital of Serbia. The temple is one of the most impressive buildings in Belgrade. Built in the town of Vracar. In 1594, while Serbia was under Ottoman rule, the people had as Orthodox monasteries both spiritual and political reference points. In particular, that of Mileseva was of great appeal to both Serbs and all Orthodox believers, for the presence of the body of Saint Sava, venerated throughout Eastern Europe. The Turkish rulers, fearing the continued pilgrimages and the great popularity of the place of worship, gave the monastery to the flames and, upon the order of Gran Vizir Sinan Pasha, exhumed the body of the saint and carried it to the hill of Vracar a few miles from walls of the city and burned it on a big pira. In 1895, ten years after the liberation from the Turks, it was decided to build a great temple to sanctify the place where the mortal remains of the saint were plagued. A small commemorative church was erected and a company was founded to enlarge it. The temple has a central plant on which a plush dome opens. In the four short sides of the Greek cross structure, as many asymmetry open with semicuples are opened. The spaces underneath the semipupes are divided by the central nave through arcades that support the galleries. The length of the structure is 91 meters, the width is 81 meters and the height to the top of the cross over the dome is 79 meters and its surface is 3 500 square meters and is designed to contain 10 000 faithful. The crypt, decorated with mosaic, contains the treasure of San Sava and the tomb of the despotic Stefan Lazar Hrebeljanovic. The exterior is in travertine marble; the central dome, semicuples and cupolas above the buttresses and towers at the sides of the four short sides are covered with copper: the cupola and cupola are all overlapped by a golden cross. The towers above the west side buttresses serve as bell towers and contain 49 bells, the largest of which measures 104 centimeters in diameter and 45 bells. the decoration is in travertine sculptured with floral motifs, and polychrome marbles with geometric motifs in the lower register. The galleries are supported by colonnades in green porphyry overlaid by a finely decorated travertine frieze. On the east side of the side aisles there are two chapels, of which only the south is currently terminated. This has a presbytery surmounted by a frescoed barrel and bordered by a mosaic iconostasis painted by pictorial icons. The central dome within 30 meters, according to the projects, will be decorated with the figure of Christ Pantocrator. The central apse is decorated with a frieze in white marble Stained supported by spiral columns, above which there are five small arched windows. Behind the columns were inserted, hanging on the wall, musive icons. Outside, the temple is surrounded by a large park, the Karadordev Park, which houses the parish house, the small church of St. Sava, used for worship until the temple is completed, and the palace headquarters of the national library. There are two monuments in the park, the same on Sava on the north side, and Prince Karadordev Petrovic, the first sovereign of autonomous Serbia from Ottoman power.