Tourist Attraction in Crema: Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie.
The sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace. The laying of the first stone is dated (1601) and the construction of the church lasted for nine years for various reasons, including a famine and the allocation of funds towards the construction of the church and the convent of the Poor Converts. In 1606 the bell tower was completed and in 1609 the church was consecrated; in 1613 the sacred image was transferred to it in the presence of the religious authorities (the bishop of Crema Monsignor Gian Giacomo Diedo) and civilians (podestà and captain Pietro Capello), the administrators and the faithful. (The dates that in the course of the year when the image was moved are uncertain). The detached image with part of the masonry was placed at the bottom of the presbytery in a church still without any other decoration. After 1620 the church was equipped with a crucifix and a gate that separated the hall from the presbytery. In 1641 Gian Giacomo Barbelli was entrusted with the task of entirely frescoing the interior of the church: work that he completed in two years. There are two orders of the facade: the lower one is divided by little jutting pilasters that divide the order into three parts; in the middle is the entrance surmounted by a mosaic of 1955. On the pilasters rests an architrave with a broken tympanum. The upper level has the same layout as the lower one. The interior has a single rectangular hall divided into three bays and a barrel vault. A triumphal arch leads to the presbytery which is square in shape and has a barrel vault. The walls are marked by fake pilasters with monochrome angels alternating with gilded capitals. The pilasters are repeated at the corners of the presbytery. On the altar there are two Carrara marble statues: they represent Mary Magdalene and Saint John the Evangelist, works signed by Andrea Fantoni in 1716 and placed in the sanctuary in 1824 coming from the suppressed church of Santa Caterina. Editing text: Giovambattista Spagnuolo (Myooni)