Tourist Attraction in Altomonte: Chiesa di San Francesco di Paola
The Church of San Francesco di Paola, a place of worship dating back to 1363 and consecrated in 1770. The church has a single nave Latin cross, divided into two side chapels. The frescoes narrating the miracles of San Francesco di Paola and the three paintings depicting the annunciation, the adoration of the Shepherds and the adoration of the Magi remain visible. There is also a wooden choir and some sculptures of the saint of Paola.
The entrance, and, one cannot but underline the beautiful portal of good workmanship, slightly off-centre towards the church and, one enters directly, into the covered hallway, into the arm of the cloister adjacent to the church. Nine of the fifteen paintings of the cycle The Mysteries of the Rosary, dating back to the end of the eighteenth century, are preserved here, originally in the churches of San Francesco di Paola and Santa Maria della Consolazione. Many works of art that were present in the church can now be seen at the Civic Museum and inside the Town Hall. Today the former convent is the seat of the Town Hall. Editing text: Giovambattista Spagnuolo (Myooni)