Tourist Attraction in Sondrio: Chiesa dei Santi Gervasio e Protasio
The archbishop's aristocratic plebeian church of the saints Gervasio and Protasio, in Sondrio, certainly one of the oldest of Valtellina, was the head of a large church and was already collegiate in the 12th century. It was reworked and enlarged several times until the eighteenth century was demolished to reconstruct a very vast drawing by Pietro Ligari. The first works took place after 1727 and already in 1733 the Ligari presented the drawings of the six side altars whose execution was entrusted to Carlo Gerolamo Buzzi in two shots in 1733 and 1737. According to its creator the church should have two large Transepts and the chorus should have been built where the archipretal house still stands today. The desire to raise the bell tower at the same time and especially the shortage of funds due to the large expenses sustained by the population following the numerous floods of Mallero did not allow the implementation of the great Ligurian project. At the end of the eighteenth century the only nave was built, which Lugano's architect Pietro Taglioretti closed in 1797 with a neoclassical apse. Only in 1838 it was erected, on the design of the Sondrio engineer Giuseppe Sertoli, the facade also in the neoclassical style.