The Basilica of San Saturnino or San Saturn (also called the saints Cosma and Damiano) is the oldest church in Cagliari, dedicated to the patron saint of the city. The church and the adjacent necropolis, which also extends below the nearby church of San Lucifero, is one of the most important and ancient early Christian complexes of Sardinia. The first to mention the church of San Saturnino was the deacon Ferrando, biographer of St. Fulgenzio di Ruspe, who lived twice between 507 and 523 in the monastery with scriptorium he founded iuxta basilicam sancti martyris Saturnini (near Saturnin martyr's basilica). Fulgenzio arrived in Cagliari along with other African bishops exiled to Sardinia by King Trasandondo vandalo in the first quarter of the 6th century (perhaps in this case the relics of St. Augustine arrived in the island, which remained in Cagliari until 722). The church found by Fulgenzio was probably erected on the site where the tradition identified the tomb of the young Cagliari Saturn or Saturn, martyred in 304 according to the Passio sancti Saturni, a medieval document that tells the story of the saint. In 1089 the complex was donated by Judge Costantino Salusio II of Cagliari to the Benedictine monks of the abbey of San Vittore of Marseilles, who established a priory. The Vittorians restored the church according to the canons of the Provencal Romanesque. The renovated basilica was consecrated in 1119. In 1324, during the siege of the castle by the Aragonese, the monastery of San Saturnino was damaged. In 1363 King Peter IV granted the site to the knights of San Giorgio de Alfama. In 1444 he entered the archdiocese of Cagliari: the monastery was abandoned and the church was restored in 1484. The friezes and decorations from San Saturn were reused as building materials in the renovation of the castle of San Michele wanted by Count Giacomo Carroz (1420-1469). A long period of decadence followed, where the excavations that affected the early Christian necropolis around the basilica from 1614 were placed in order to find the so-called "holy bodies" and, in 1669, the removal of materials that were reused in the Baroque reconstruction of the cathedral. In 1714 the basilica was given to the order of doctors and specialists and was for this reason also called to the saints physicians Cosma and Damiano. Reparated after the war between 1948 and 1952 and returned to worship, it was often chosen by the Cagliarians for the celebration of marriages. In 1978 the church was closed to carry out new restorations. The works lasted until 1996, when the basilica was reopened for visits. On October 30, 2004, the feast of San Saturnino, the basilica with a new altar and an ambone was reconquered and reopened to worship by Archbishop of Cagliari Giuseppe Mani. In 2010, the reclamation of the surrounding area was started. The Basilica of San Saturnino is located inside a fenced area, including an early Christian necropolis still affected by archaeological excavations, located between Piazza San Cosimo and Via Dante. In fact, there was only one part of the ancient basilica, originally a Greek cross and a transept with a hemispherical dome at the intersection of the arms, all four to three naves; In fact, the present temple is made up of the dome itself, the oldest part of the building (V-VI century), supported by pilasters with alveolar columns, and the eastern arm, with three aisles and closed by a semicircular apse. The western facade, half-cracked, has a split in three mirrors. The two side mirrors retain the architraved doors and topped with full-length lunettes. In addition to the façade is accessed to the tramway of the disappeared western arm, beyond which there is the current access to the church, open to a mirrored glass with dark metal frame.