The metropolitan cathedral of Sant'Agata is the main Catholic site of Catania, the mother church of the archdiocese and parish hall. The cathedral is dedicated to the virgin and martyr Sant'Agata, patron saint of the city of Catania and is located in the historic center of the city on the south-east side of Piazza del Duomo, in the Cathedral district of Catania or Terme Achilliane - Piano di San Filippo. In July 1926 Pope Pius XI elevated him to the dignity of a smaller basilica. The Norman remains consist of the body of the high transept, two stubble towers (perhaps with the primitive plant) and the three semicircular apses, which, visible from the archbishop's courtyard, consist of large blocks of lava stone, most of which was recovered from the Roman amphitheater; Scenery wall portions and prospect wall were embedded in the eighteenth-century reconstruction. The current building is the work of the architect Girolamo Palazzotto, who was mainly involved in the interior, while Giovanni Battista Vaccarini designed and followed the work of the facade with interventions and modifications protracted from 1734 to 1761; the same architect also made a dome project, never realized. It was only in 1857 that the bell tower was completed and that of the XIX century was the actual setting up of the churchyard. You reach the churchyard through a short marble staircase that culminates in a wrought-iron wreath adorned with 10 bronze saints. The square is divided by the square of the Duomo from a white stone balustrade adorned with five large statues of Carrara marble saints. The main wooden door is made up of thirty-two forms, finely carved, illustrating from left to right: in the first register are the three armor of Bishop Ansgerio, Pope Urban II and Ruggero I of Sicily with its captions as the three protagonists of the foundation of the cathedral, while closing the series reproduction of a raptor over the storm clouds with the aura imbes quae transcreditur caption; in the second register are the armor of the corresponding protagonists of the reconstruction of the cathedral, namely Pietro Galletti, Pope Clement XII and Charles III of Spain with related captions, closes the series the coat of arms of Catania with the caption of the civic motto; the third register represents four attributes of the diocese and their respective captions, that is, a volatile in the nest while chasing their chests to feed their chicks (similar to the Christian icon of the pelican, the motto is charitas omnia suffert), a bearded man crushed by a a volcano whose back is the cross of the Resurrection to which man is chained to the ankle. On the sides of the central door, on two high supports, are placed the marble statues of St. Peter and St. Paul. The dome on the cruise dates back to 1802 and is furnished with columns and large windows illuminating the church. The bell tower was built for the first time in 1387 to the left of the prospect, backward about 7 meters from the facade and was over 70 meters high. The square-based tower was about 15 meters in length. Its history is very rugged as it will suffer several collapses and hence many renovations. In 1662 it was further raised for the insertion of a clock and was brought to the dizzying height of about 100 meters. But on January 11, 1693, due to the earthquake that struck the city, it collapsed, overwhelming the church: over 7,000 faithful gathered in prayer died under its rubble. It was rebuilt along with the church after the earthquake of 1693, with the largest bell burned in 1619 of the diameter of 1.80, fallen from the tower during the earthquake but remained intact, together with the bell of the people of 1505. Between 1867 and 1869 the architect Carmelo Sciuto Patti realized the bell tower and the dome lantern. The overhanging of the altars in both naves is made up of pictorial works characterized by monumental baroque carvings and carved golden frames.