Tourist Attraction in Catanzaro: Chiesa di Santa Maria di Porto Salvo
The church of Santa Maria di Porto Salvo is a place of Catholic worship in Catanzaro. Until the end of the 18th century the inhabitants of the Catanzaro marina district still had no place to exercise their faith, so after the disastrous earthquake of 1783, the Sacred Case abolished monastic orders and founded new churches to spread the Catholic faith. One of these was originally set up in Lido, initially organizing a chapel from a warehouse, later building a true church, completed in 1832. With a bubble of November 14, 1889, Bishop Bernardo De Riso created a parish, recognized by the Regio Exequatur of January 31, 1892. Inside the church, lies the statue of Our Lady of Porto Salvo, which, each year on the last Sunday of July, on the occasion of the patron saint, is taken out and carried into procession to the port , where it is embarked and continuing the procession before the Catanzarese coasts, with numerous boats to follow.